Thursday, March 14, 2024

Lots of background work in the basement............


First thing yesterday morning I baked the chocolate chip cookies.  I had a question from someone in another country about my recipe so I thought I would show the package, not knowing if this is available in their area.



I just noticed something that I had not seen before.  At the bottom it says if omitting nuts to add 1 - 2 TBS of flour.  I will try that next time because most of my family prefers no nuts in cookies.



Here is the rest of the recipe for my reader who inquired about it.  Click on the photo for  a larger view.

Another reader thought I should have a label for recipes.  I do have a label for FOOD which should include posts with recipes.  A quicker way though if you read my blog on a computer is to go to the top left corner of the blog and there is a search box where you can type in RECIPE and it should take you to any post with that word in it.


Now for the background stuff: the basement is cold in spring and fall when the heat doesn't come on when it is warm outside (69-70 the last 2 days) so I really didn't want to be down there quilting the flannel quilt.  I decided it was a good day to turn on the iron.  I pressed the backing for the Hugs and Kisses flannel quilt and all of the batik 9 patch strip sets.  While I was at it I pressed all of the 9 patches that I had sewn so far.  Then I sub-cut all of the 9 patch strip sets that were sewn earlier this week.  I was lazy last night and didn't get any sewing done.


There are 4 nine patches alike from every strip set.  I took one of each of the ones that were sewn previously and put them on the design wall to get an idea of the variety I have so far.  In the stack ready to sew there are a lot of light combinations so this will change a lot.  Here is the last quilt top I made with 9 patches like these.  They are made with commercial prints whereas this new group of blocks is all batiks.

8 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

many years i lived quite near ruth wakefield's toll house restaurant where the cookie was invented...whitman, mass...

helenreimers said...

I really like those 9 patches

Julierose said...

Love the orange 9-patches spark of color...really nice!! :)))
Yum--choc chip cookies...;)))
50 here this morning--sunny and good for a short walk...
hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

Fun fact: the original recipe called for 1 t water. The reason was that before there were chocolate chips the recipe called for chocolate bars to be broken up and the water helped mix them. Jeffrey Steingarten, long-time food columnist for Vogue, wrote to the effect that "you may be able to make a better chocolate chip cookie than Toll House, but you have no excuse to make a worse one."

Barbara Anne said...

Yum, who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies? It was kind of you to post the recipe from the package, too.

Love the 9 Patches and how their number grows so quickly.

Thanks for the hint about where to find your posted recipes! I'd never noticed the blue list of "Labels" as, I suppose, I'm always blown away by your fabrics and quilts! Will visit "Food" later today.

Hugs!

Patty said...

My lower level has been very cool since it’s been warm and the floor is a slab on grade so I know what you mean. I love that red and yellow batik that is on the top of the pile of pieces that will be sewn together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love chocolate chip cookies and use the recipe on the bag too I think it always turns out. I always add nuts though as we like them.
Understand about basements being cooler when my daughter had a house with a basement there was an extra bedroom and family room on that level and it was always much cooler that they had to run a space heater a lot there.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Now you have me hungry for chocolate chip cookies. I look forward to seeing what you made with those blocks.