Monday, March 11, 2024

Backings for flannel quilts...........


Yesterday afternoon I cut the 2 backing pieces for the Hugs and Kisses flannel quilt.  I will press them today and sew the long seam.








A few days ago I pressed this backing and got it loaded on the longarm for the flannel pinwheel quilt.






I just wasn't ready to wrestle with this new 30 yard roll of Hobbs 80/20 batting yesterday.  Today I'll open it and get the batting cut for all 3 of the flannel tops and maybe pieces for a couple more quilts too.  Once I get it hoisted up on my double table I like to cut quite a few pieces.  Since I still have close to 40 tops waiting for finishing I just have to choose which ones I think will be next in the rotation for quilting.



I had TV on for about 2 hours last night and I had 5 more 9 patches prepared for sewing.  Now I'm caught up and need to sew some more strip sets.  About half of the shows I watch are re-runs this week.  Since it will be light later I have one more hour I can work in the basement so maybe I'll get some cutting done on another project.

8 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I know what you mean about wrestling big rolls. I don't have a table to roll it on so I use the floor, which getting up from is an issue. I love the backings you chose for the comfy flannel tops.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just don't have room for a big roll of batting and as I hand quilt I know a package of batting at a time is fine for me. Looks like a lot to deal with there.

Julierose said...

Pretty flannel backing piece;))) WOW that is a huge batting roll to deal with--good luck...
33 this morning and we awoke to a one inch coating of snow!!!! That was a surprise for sure...
Hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

I thank you again for recommending Hobbs 80/20 from Kingsmen. I got a new roll last week, too. Fast service!

Anonymous said...

That first photo of your hugs and kisses quilt is so well lit—it makes those flannels glow! —Roxanne

JJM said...

And your production line rolls on… of course you need a 30 yard roll for all those quilt tops in waiting. Batting is light weight but 30 yards is one huge and weighty roll.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What perfect backing fabrics you've chosen for your two flannel quilts and I applaud your system of cutting multiple battings for quilts in waiting before hoisting what remains on that huge roll into it's place on the long-arm machine. That makes such good sense!

And those 9 Patches continue to multiply.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about wrestling those rolls! It makes me grateful that I have that huge table when I need to cut batting! Someone mentioned you get the batting from Kingmans? I have never heard of them. Patty the quilt lady.