Thursday, March 28, 2024

Another finish...............


This is my version of "Sunlight in the Forest", a quilt in Kaffe Fassett's "Quilts in Sweden" book.  I used my own choice of fabrics but used the same inner border fabric as the original quilt.

I used Hobbs 80/20 batting and it was quilted by longarmer Robin Diaz.

It is 67.5" x 87".


Here is a photo from a 2018 post showing the quilt in the book.  (click on the photo for a closer view.) I finished making the quilt top in June 2018.  





I used 2 fabrics on the back because I didn't have enough of either one of them for the whole back.  I mentioned I would show the whole back when it was done but it is large and was a struggle to get up on the design wall.  I didn't have the energy to take it down, turn it over and hang it back up again.  The second photo on this post shows the Hydrangea fabric the best.


After I filled the birdfeeders I checked to see if anything was growing in the back garden.  I found this one Peony peeking out of the ground.  Only one other was up and not as high as this one.



This Lungwort/Pumonaria plant is snugged up next to the rocks along the edge of the path through the garden.






This is the first bloom open on the third Lenten Rose plant.  Most of the buds look pink but it is on the outside of these petals and around the edges.  This one was barely open so the center of the flower isn't fully formed yet.






I need to keep documenting the progress on these plants.  This is their third blooming year in my garden.  At the left behind them are pots filled with Hostas that I dug out of my front garden.  I hope they survived the winter tucked up next to the house in double pots.


This is the third plant.  I haven't trimmed off the dead leaves from last year yet.  I think I'll be out doing some clean up next week.

17 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Love the Lenten roses….such a humble plant with beautiful flowers you need to get close to see their beauty. Another wonderful Kaffe finish. I can certainly understand not having the fortitude to arm wrestle that large a quilt twice! You are generous with all the photos you share.

Hannah said...

Love your version of the quilt!

Julierose said...

What a lovely quilt--"Sunlight" is so pretty and evocative--nice work...
Your garden is coming to life...a few daffodil stalks here but that is it so far...44 and more rain here today--we will have to build an ark if this continues...;000
Hugs, Julierose

Kathleen said...

Love your version of Sunlight in the Forest. The inner and outer borders are just perfect. We are slowly seeing flowers in Maine, after an ice storm...which felt totally unspringlike!

JJM said...

Quilt is stunningly BEAUTIFUL Wanda. I had forgotten this quilt and so happy to see it all finished for another showing again.

Lovely stroll through your gardens.

JJM

Cathy said...

Hooray for that gorgeous finish! It is the next best thing to walking through a summer garden with vibrant colors in blooms.

What lovely Hellebores. I only have one and I'm surprised it has blooms since the rabbits (named because of the pellets left nearby) ate most of the plant. I've been tempted to buy more when I see them on sale in garden catalogs but then stop myself when I remember they are the epitome of epicurean delight for rabbits. They are such beautiful flowers.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a beautiful quilt - I love those colors. So many plants growing - we are to be near 80 again after today for about 4 days crazy early spring

Barbara Anne said...

Your "Sunlight in the Forest" is totally delicious and hope it makes you totally happy!

It's so nice your flowers have survived the snow and cold weather you've had.

Hugs!

Nann said...

It's lovely, Wanda!

Connie said...

Another gorgeous example of your amazing talent.
Happy Easter!

Connie said...

Another gorgeous example of your amazing talent.
Happy Easter!

Karen said...

Your quilt is really lovely. I had the absolute pleasure of taking a class with Kaffe here in Cape Town back in July 2015 (I had to look up the date!) making that very quilt. https://karensquiltsfromcapetown.blogspot.com/2015/07/busy-week-on-leave.html

Patty said...

The quilt is beautiful!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Your version of the quilt is great. I like that you don't have those dark holes in it, but it is a lighter spirit. Your garden looks wonderful. I have not gone into mine lately because for some unknown reason, it has been invaded by some rats, yuckers. We have a totally clean yard as well as our neighbors, no food source or garbage anywhere. They have dug hole, tunnels in the garden-just horrible. We set traps and baited, never in 40 years here has this ever happened. I can't bear and go out and poke around in it. Makes me so sad.

Mystic Quilter said...

So pleased you went, as usual, with your own colour choices, your Sunlight in The Forest is much brighter than the KF, and the backing is stunning. I marked this one not long after the book was released, I made the small quilt Vintage for a dear friend who had terminal cancer. I always feel like sitting clapping my hands when you show us a peek of your peonies beginning to appear!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sunlight is magnificent! You are so good with colors and their placement.

Vicki W said...

That's a fun quilt! I really like the inner ombre stripe border.