Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Flannel day.................


For a few years I have been cutting the brighter flannel scraps into 6.5" squares.  A lot of these were leftovers after making flannel pillowcases at Christmastime a few years ago.  I needed a few more squares so I found 3 yardage pieces and cut squares from them too.  There is one more row for the bottom but I was out of space on the design wall.


This is the group for the bottom row which I will lay on the floor today.  I may have to move a few pieces because the bottom row on the wall is pretty dark.  Three of the fabrics are Laurel Burch prints and I think I have a piece of her flannel large enough for the back.


I did some more sorting of books to pass on.  I love this book which has a lot of history of crazy quilts.  I have the original hard cover copy.  I checked to see if it is still available and found that it had been printed as a paperback too.






This quilt was one of my favorites with the crazy piecing cut into diamonds and sashing between the diamonds.











One of the reasons I liked it was the name, Contained crazy.  Here is a post 3 weeks after I started my blog with the 3 quilts I made, inspired by the one in the book. 

Now I need to pass this book on so others can enjoy it.

12 comments:

Julierose said...

I think those flannels are just lovely--nice groupings you've made with them...
this will be such a cozy quilt;)))
I had that Crazy quilt book long ago, too--it is a good one...

only 27 this morning--I actually saw the S U N this morning when it rose over the hill--but again the skies have clouded over. At least I know it's still up there hahaha
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have some bright color flannels most of mine are kind of dull other than the little red I have left

Linda Swanekamp said...

Those flannels look wonderful. The store where I bought flannel for pillowcases I made everyone closed and I cannot find pretty flannels anywhere even on line- good quailty ones. The ones I used to buy were Moda and Northcott, but it doesn't seem like they are making them now.

JJM said...

What bright and cheerful prints on your flannel squares, Wanda… Great layout for this quilt, love how your lighter squares add such a glitter to it.

And what a book of fun inspirations and for you to create an awesome series so many years ago.

JJM

LG said...

I have wondered if you were ever going to update the "current favorite" and "second favorite" quilts on the right, but now I see they've been there since the beginning! It's hard to pick favorites.

Barbara Anne said...

What happy colors and prints in your flannel squares! They will certainly make a cozy quilt for some lucky someone.

I've made 3 flannel baby quilts that went to my quiltie sister in Australia for her twin grandsons and a later granddaughter. The boys got Rail Fence quilts and the little girl got Pinwheels.

Hugs!

Kristin said...

I LOVE your B&W 'contained crazy' quilt from your earlier post! It looks very modern and absract and I like that you used the gray cornerstones. Very cool.

cityquilter grace said...

in the 1980s penny mcmorris was the producer of a short film, 30 min i think, called quilts in womens' lives...it was a hoot...groundbreaking video for its time...i never tire of watching it...

cityquilter grace said...

OOPS....it was pat ferrero....not penny mcmorris...sorry!

Patty said...

Those are some fun flannels. I wanted to make a mostly red and white flannel quilt for myself. I have a number of pieces collected; I guess that is at least a start! Hancock’s of Paducah had some wonderful blue plaid flannels for only $5 a yard. I have a pile waiting to become quilts. Your venture into crazy was great!

Cathy said...

I love that book by Penny McMorris -it’s a classic - and have had it for years. If you are going to pass it on, be aware of how rare and expensive the original is now. You can get top dollar for it! My copy is staying with me through this downsizing and moving we’re going through this winter/spring. I really should take (even more) inspiration from you and make a cotton version of a crazy quilt, as I’ve re-homed most of my fancy fabrics and trimmings for the Victorian style versions I used to make.

Heather said...

Before I read down to your comment about the yellow Kaffe Dream print (Feb. 6 post), I had selected it as my favourite to go with the Lemoyne stars -- besides the colours, i think it's its 'radiating' flowers that suit the stars so well.
Heather from Toronto, Ontario