Tuesday, January 30, 2024

#2 finish for January 2024..............


I started this quilt in September 2015 and made the last blocks at the end of October 2015. I sewed the top together in June 2017.  Click here for the inspiration quilt and the first blocks.  There are many variations in the blocks made with 49 squares each.  I loved making this quilt and could easily make enough blocks for another quilt because it was so much fun.  Sewing the top together wasn't as much fun.  I really like making blocks.  Size is 76.5" x 97.5".  It's all Kaffe collective fabrics.


I'm repeating this photo from a couple days ago to show the backing. It is a Brandon Mably design -Onion Rings- wide backing.  The batting is Hobbs 80/20.





More blooms are opening on the red Amaryllis.  There should be a couple more today.

Update on the Crooked Cobblestone 13, I decided I like the warm colors at the top and the green at the bottom.  I should probably pin a note to it so I don't have to decide all over when it is time to quilt it.


Last night I brought a stack of flannels upstairs and sorted them by size, smaller than 1/3 yard, 1/2 yard pieces and full yards.  I want to make 4 or 5 flannel quilts, one of them for myself.  I need to search through the rest of my flannels later this week.  I will cut 6.5" squares from the smaller pieces.  I made 2 quilts with all squares at least 20 years ago and they were favorites for my family.  I might add some denim squares into one of the quilts.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

The red Kaffe quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Just the thing we need to brighten up the dreary days of winter.
Kathy

Carolyn said...

That is lovely!

Helenchaffin said...

beautiful colors!

Libby in TN said...

It's fun to see how fabric selection causes different designs to emerge from you blocks.

Mary said...

This finish is spectacular!

Julierose said...

What a beautiful finish on this 2015 quilt--I really think it is so pretty....
a bevy of colors for the eyes!!
That red, red amaryllis is just gorgeous--so many shades in one flower--it is amazing!!
32 degrees here and another gray day has dawned!! I cannot recall the last day we saw sunshine...hoping the trend is for clearing soon...hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt is just super- gorgeous colors especially in the grayness we have been experiencing. Beautiful bountiful red blooms. I have lots of denim I cut from old jeans, I need to make a quilt from them, not sure what kind/pattern.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a beautiful finish on that quilt. I think I have a piece of that backing fabric - I have a stack of white/black that I got from one of your shop sales once and I've been using them here in there in the quilts and gradually starting add more that I have found to mix in with the quilts.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love that quilt! And later today I will pull out my copy of the inspiration quilt’s book and consider some of my fabric pulls to see if they (with editing) might work or whether I want to “chuck” one or more of them in order to give this design a go. Lots to consider - thanks for the beautiful nudge!

JJM said...

Oh~~~Wanda I so agree this is definitely a favorite quilt. Absolutely Stunning to say the least. Its way more beautiful than the inspiration quilt.

I’m not jealous of your amaryllis, because mine are still blooming also. And I have already started rooting one of the bulbs that was done blossoming.

Your stash of flannels are so heart warming as well as body warming. I know…

JJM

Nann said...

It's beautiful, Wanda. (How many sets of blocks do you have waiting for assembly?) The flannels are quite a contrast but will make a snuggly quilt (or two, or three....)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful quilt, love all this Kaffe colour.

Barbara Anne said...

Applause, applause! Your Kaffe quilt was well worth waiting for and it is just glorious!! Do you suppose it wasn't so much fun to put together because the blocks are on-point? I find that setting somewhat annoying when I choose to use it.

Tis the season for flannel and hope you have fun working with these yummy and cozy fabrics again. Perhaps I will follow your good example.

What a bright and cheerful Amaryllis to brighten up your home. :)

Hugs!

Cathy said...

Oh joy! I love it! And I think your photo is inspiring me. And I'm with you. I do love piecing but making tops especially on point is not my fav thing to do.

I have a couple of denim quilts I made in the 70s to take camping. They have been on many a camping trip, had marshmallows from somemores on them many times, been used as cushions on wet picnic table benches, etc. and are still in one piece all these years later. Oh, the memories in those quilts! Flannel and denim sounds oh so cozy!

Marie said...

This quilt has always been a favourite of mine Wanda, and that backing is just beautiful. So happy that you can now enjoy the finished product.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Stunning! Congratulations on the finish.

Connie said...

Oh my goodness, this quilt is magnificent!

Patty said...

Another stunning quilt done! The amaryllis is beautiful and goes well with the quilt. I know what you mean about how flannel quilts are a family favorite.

MissPat said...

Always amazing how color placement can change the appearance of a block. I don't think I've ever seen an amaryllis with that many blooms.
Pat

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Now, Wanda, you've made me want to make that quilt! It is so very pretty. Who would have guessed you could make so many different blocks from 40 squares! I love it!

Vicki W said...

Oh, that turned out really pretty!