Sunday, January 14, 2024

#4 quilt top for 2024..............


The last seams were sewn by noon yesterday and then the zig zag baby quilt top got its final pressing.  It is 34.5" x 40".








These 2 will be a nice addition to my available baby quilts when I get them quilted next month.  Right now I'm thinking a white with black print for the back of both of them will keep them gender neutral.


Two or three years ago I cut a pile of elongated hexagons from older Marcia Derse fabrics.  I saw this layout somewhere online and decided to test it.  This is one that would have to be totally designed before I could sew on any side triangles.  The edge pieces will only have 1 larger side triangle and will have 2 smaller triangles on their outside edge.  I tried 2 combinations of triangles for the light square.  I think I have some more strips cut to die cut more of the elongated hexagons so I'll check that out today.

We're into the really cold weather now, several degrees below 0 last night.

Added at 8 a.m.- It is -15 degrees.

13 comments:

Kathy said...

You always give such great inspiration! I have a big pile of Marcia Derse fabric that would look great with that honeycomb design. Thanks!

Libby in TN said...

Interesting design!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Four tops already -- baby or not, that's impressive! Those elongated hexagons look great with MD fabrics.

Julierose said...

Nice start to 2024 with those 4 quilts!!
I like the elongated hexies in those saturated colors...
33 this morning and still windy; they say Tuesday we will be getting snow--of course, that is my haircut day!! :0000
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

-15 is very cold for sure - it is 11 here which is very cold for here, my sister in the northern part of the state says it is -2 for her. Snow starts this afternoon.
I think both of those baby quilts are so nice whoever ends up getting them should be very happy

Mary said...

I'm still in love with the colorways in these baby quilts. It's cold here too, but nothing like what you are experiencing. We may get freezing precipitation tonight. I'm so glad ther is nowhere I absolutely have to drive to tomorrow.

Nann said...

Cold but sunny! Love the new top.

JJM said...

I so enjoy looking at your last two baby quilts. Zig zag and donut hole fabrics just sparkle with your choice of neutral background fabric. And your fabric choices for your elongated hexagons couldn’t be better.

We’re warming up here in the mountains and are as cold as you are. We’re supposed to get above 0 by Tuesday. I sure hope they are right.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Okay, now you're just showing off, my friend! 4 quilt tops in 14 days??? When do you eat and sleep? Just kidding. These quilt tops are your happy, charming, heartwarming wonderful style and I applaud your creativity.

The coming week is forecast to bring several days with highs in the 30s*F and lows in the teens with a tiny chance of a tad of snow. This is nothing compared to the Arctic cold in much of the rest of the country and I hope everyone's electricity stays on!

Hugs!

pbj fiber marietta said...

Love love love the baby quilts! I had one going with just plain white fabric and Kaffe fabric, but the black and white prints take the cake! Congrats on another couple of winners!

Patty said...

The tops are all so pretty!

Vicki W said...

Both of those baby quilts are so cute! Stay warm!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

A great start to your year with 4 quilt tops finished. Well done! Sounds beyond cold where you are. Stay warm.