Monday, January 8, 2024

First 2 quilt tops for January 2024.............


I sewed this top together yesterday morning.  It is 40" x 60".  It is mostly Kaffe Fassett fabric, many very early prints because the squares were cut many years ago.  There are a couple Martha Negley prints too.  She was a friend of Kaffe's back in the early years of Kaffe's designing and some of her fabrics were featured in Kaffe's early books.





I decided this top doesn't need a border so it is a finished top too.  It is 37.5" x 57".  It would made a great toddler quilt for the big brother or sister of a new baby who is getting a quilt.  There are quite a few novelty prints used in it.








The red 4 patches are sewn into a table runner and I'm auditioning the Tiddlywinks fabric by Kaffe as a possible strip on the 2 narrow sides.  I just have to decide how long I want it to be.












Another box of cut squares and sewn triangle squares was the next to be played with.  This pattern is called Donut Hole on a lot of blogs and on Pinterest.  25 of these 7.5" blocks would make a nice baby quilt.  These are just loose pieces on the design wall. no blocks are sewn.



This is another block layout that I like and it would be a 10" block when sewn.







This is the next quilt top (scroll down to quit tops) to send out for quilting.  The bottom left fabric is what I was going to use for backing.  I had 2 pieces and thought they were both 3 yards. When I was pressing the second piece I knew it was longer than the first one.  I measured and one is 2.75 yards.  I looked for another print I could add and found 3 yards of the one on the right but decided I don't want 2 different fabrics on the back.  I have a wide back in Brandon Mably's Onion Rings that I will use instead.  I need to press it and cut down to size today.  I guess I never did a post on this as a finished quilt top.  It was just included in the monthly recap the morning after I finished sewing it.  This post shows when I was starting it, the inspiration quilt, and the first 2 blocks.

14 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh, thanks for the bursts of color on a dreary morning! What a lot of neat projects you have going on.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great finishes! Beautiful bright colors. Love the shoo fly fabrics, so fun. How can you ever go wrong with squares of Kaffe?

Mary said...

This post is a feast for the eyes. What a nice way to enjoy my coffee on a Monday morning.

Julierose said...

Beautiful colors in these, Wanda,--definitely "Exuberant";)))

Icey cold this morning here--28 degrees with frozen slush mostly...snow,then
rain, then more snow, and more rain--it couldn't make up its mind;0000

My cacti have finished blooming but are still full buds???? Some are drying off and others just hanging in there...I wonder if they will also bloom???
They must be tired after giving us such gorgeous displays...

Hope to be able to do some cutting today...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have so many you get done each week it is amazing

helenreimers said...

What a burst of color on a cold rainy Monday morning in Oklahoma. I love them all. Thank you.

JJM said...

What a glorious post today Wanda. The fun you have had creating these pieces really shows.

JJM

Nann said...

Love the all the vibrant combinations!

Vicki W said...

That first quilt is one I like to do for the veteran's quilts. I need to make my next one brighter and more scrappy, like yours. I tend to be a little more boring!

Kristin said...

I love those smaller Donut Holes blocks! So cheery!

Barbara Anne said...

Again, you amaze me with your speedy production of gorgeous, colorful quilt tops that delight the eye! Way to go!

Sorry to be tardy, but with lupus fatigue, I do what I can and today was taking ornaments off of the tree in the living room. All else had to wait. Rain tomorrow, so will be finishing the tree and putting the special ornaments into their boxes.

Hugs!

Patty said...

Lots of fabulous color!

MissPat said...

The donut hole block and it's variation would make good Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. I think I'll sew on up as a reminder to myself. Fighting a head cold I brought back from TX.
Pat

Agile Jack said...

the quilt you're sending to the long armer is so pretty! I don't remember seeing that one in the past.

Curious... you must have a ton of finished quilt tops in your closet. How do you decide which ones from the past to have quilted? Do you have a specific plan for this one, maybe a gift?

As always, thanks for all the inspiration!

Anne