Sunday, January 21, 2024

Binding started.................


This is the binding fabric I chose for the batik pineapple log cabin quilt.






I got it sewn onto the quilt and started the hand stitching.  I started at the middle of a short side and made it past the first corner.





I do my hand stitching in my studio because I have excellent bright light in there.  I pile the quilt on my cabinet and on the 3 drawer chest that I can pull out from under the left side of the cabinet.  Then I just scoot forward in my chair on wheels and start stitching.  I can easily get up and leave the area without moving the quilt.


These are the only cactus blooms and no buds on any of the other plants.









The tall Amaryllis with the white flowers edged with red has another bud opening and will bloom soon.  The third Amaryllis that was gifted to me is starting to open too.  It is suppose to be a double flower.  There are 2 more bud stalks on that bulb, one that is about half as tall as the one that is blooming and another about 3" tall.

7 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

perfect binding for the quilt,luv all the colors flowing throughout it,I don't recall ever seeing a cactus bloom,it's beautiful!

Julierose said...

Super choice on that batik border fabric--just right!! Great spot to hand sew that pretty binding on, too, Wanda...
I am also hand sewing the binding on my little Ojos today--I was able to use leftover binding from an older Christmas piece--YAY--always love when that happens...;)))

14 this morning with 9-15 mph winds--so cold--but at least we have full sun this morning...nice instead of those gray skies...

My Cacti have stopped blooming--yours still going is so nice; your amaryllis' are so pretty--that red is amazing...nice to have flowers to remind us that Spring will come around again during these cold wintry Days!!
Stay warm--and enjoy your hand stitching hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

our amaryllis just are producing so well this year aren't they. My last one is beginning to open today.
Love the quilt binding you selected. I'm not comfortable enough in my office chair to sit and do binding also

Nann said...

Your sidebar shows Crooked Cobblestones and Jumbled Library as your favorites....time to switch 'em out? Your indoor garden is always lovely.

JJM said...

Pineapple Log cabin is so full of fun. Front to back to binding has me mesmerized with fabrics and pattern. As many years as you have been a professional quilter you know what works and what doesn’t when it comes to hand stitching the bindings and creating each quilt.

Your Blossoms always make me smile. I thought my Amaryllis was done blooming and over night a stalk and blossom emerged. And this year I think I bought a hybrid of sorts, many short stalks and blossoms yet. I’m going to try and keep mine alive this year like my daughter has been doing the past few years.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What a perfect binding fabric you chose for your gloriously colorful Pineapple Log Cabin quilt and what a perfect set-up you've devised for hand stitching the binding. Brilliant!

Your Amaryllis plants are lovely as is your cactus. Bursts of color are a joy in the cold of winter.

I say that, and it's 37*F for the high today and next weekend we'll be having rain with a tropical heat wave (almost) of 70*F. What is up with that?

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wonderful fabric for binding. Those amaryllis sure got tall and the flowers are always a show stealer.