Monday, January 1, 2024

December 2023 monthly recap................


 December was my best month for finishes.  Three were just waiting for binding so that was pretty fast.  Four of them were gifts that needed to be finished.  On the left are the two I Spy quilts for my two families of great-grandchildren. (64" x 80.5" and 67.5" x 79").  Next to them are Soft Colorwash and Small Colorwash (20" x 33 and 18" square).  Next is layered churn dash, 77" x 101" and below it flannel baby quilts, 38" square and 39.5" square.  At the right is Batik Stars, 73" x 99".


Only one quilt top was made in December and it was really fun. The green color is so welcome in our brown, black and white winters.  Since we have had so little snow it is mostly brown and black this winter so far.

This one is about 52" x 70", the size I am going to try to stick with this new year.  I still have many 60ish x 80ish ones to quilt.


Speaking of snow, we had flurries for part of the day yesterday and this is the total accumulation, mostly on the Sedum dried blooms.





I need to put my stats on my blog and this one was just finished early evening yesterday.  It is made of mostly Kaffe collective fabrics with at least one African and one batik as well a few other assorted prints.  It is 18" square.  The tiny squares are 1.5" finished.




I used a Kaffe fabric on the back and used folded squares at the top corners on the back to hold the hanging rod.

It has Warm and Natural batting and the top thread is Invisifil in 3 colors.

I started 2023 with 43 tops.  I finished 30 but also made 29 new tops.  Of the tops quilted 14 were older ones and 16 were new tops made in 2023.  I donated one quilt top for a comfort quilt and ended up with 41 tops still waiting to be quilted.  At this rate if I make 30 new tops in 2024 I would need to quilt (or have them longarm quilted by someone else) 6 quilts a month to end up with no tops waiting unfinished at the end of 2024.  Unlikely, I think.  I would like to sell some quilt tops.  Just a lot of thought to finish out 2023.

Happy New Year!

15 comments:

Karen said...

Happy New Year Wanda!

Libby in TN said...

Another productive year. We had a dusting of snow on the rooftops Friday. Gonna be a cold New 's Day.

Nann said...

If it's not going to snow it ought to be sunny! Ah, well. Congratulations on your December finishes. (And thanks for inspiring my Dec. 31 flimsy!)

Julierose said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, WANDA!!:))))
You had a wonderful quilt-producing year; just lovely pieces all...
32 this morning under a red sky--now it is clouded over once more with gray.
I begin my "Decluttering" adventure today...I don't know what to make, so will use my time to get my room [and my brain, hopefully] in order....
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

may you reach your goals - me I think I will continue as I have been - making less but make and finish as I go so I don't have a lot of tops waiting in line to be quilted.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Hi Wanda,
You are one busy gal. So love seeing your posts throughout the year.

I am one of your biggest fans. I would be interested in buying one of your Kaffe-themed quilt tops if you were willing to part with one.

Cheers to the New Year!

JJM said...

All December finishes are truly needle works of art. . . . I agree ‘Rosy’ is so refreshing on these cold winter days. And I really like the binding on your small colorwash, it looks like your Sedum branches do right now.

Wishing you and another fun creative year.

JJM

MissPat said...

Happy New Year Wanda. You enjoy playing with color and creating too much so I suspect you'll still have a lot of tops in the "need to be quilted" pile at the end of 2024. Besides, we all look to you for inspiration.
Pat

Chris said...

Happy new year, Wanda!

Barbara Anne said...

What varied and wonderfully colorful quilt you made in December! I can see those marvelous colorwash quilts brightening two table tops in your home during the winter months.

Hope you find joy in quilting those tops that are waiting and giving yourself permission to send out any tops that are too large for you to quilt comfortably. Little by little, you'll catch up and won't it be fun to revisit quilt tops you made years ago?

Happy New Year to you!

Hugs!

Agile Jack said...

December was a very productive month for you. I always feel less productive in my sewing room in December with everything else going on.

I love that green quilt and I agree with that one block with the pink streak. It's a pop of color that's very exciting!

Anne

Vicki W said...

What a great month of December and a very productive year! Happy 2024!

Patty said...

Happy New Year Wanda! You had a most excellent December and year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda...your last paragraph brought me back to high school days, taking the math part of my college entrance exam ! Loved math, but never the 'word problems' ! Now, my friend and I always chuckle when it's time to do Quilt Math, cause we failed miserably one night during a quilt retreat when it was well into the night.

Looking forward to your 2024 creations.

MaryJo said...

PS... From MaryJo.Crowell@gmail.com