Sunday, December 31, 2023

First and only quilt top for December 2023


This month is quite a contrast with most months with only one top and many finishes.  Usually it is fewer finishes and as many as 5 tops made in a month (Jan and Apr this year).

This top is called Rosy in the Kaffe Fassett books, first shown in 1997 and made with other commercial prints because he had only designed the yarn dyed woven stripe fabrics at the time they were writing the book.

In the book the blocks are 9".  Mine are 6".  This top is about 52" x 70".


I thought about taking this block out but when I changed it to something all greens the quilt top looked like it was missing something.  The bits of red/pink/orange scattered in the prints gave it a little spark of interest so this one stayed.


Last night I quilted this 18" colorwash that has a majority of Kaffe collective fabrics and other fabrics added to get the smooth blend.  I started out yesterday making a backing for a 63" x 72" quilt but it ended up 2" too narrow.  Then I measured the batting piece that was an end of roll piece and it was 4" too narrow.  Rather than pulling out the big roll of batting and cutting another piece I decided to just finish this little wallhanging instead for #30.


If you click to enlarge this photo you will see I have a binding choice at the bottom edge.  It is brown with orange and green tiny stick trees.  I'm pretty sure this is the one I'll use as I get the binding done today.



My small red cactus surprised me with one more bloom yesterday.







The orange one is just finishing up blooming and this was the last good flower on it.






The pale pink one has always been the overachiever and it had this one bloom and 3 more buds on the side facing the window.

I will be cutting the binding for the colorwash today, sewing it on and hand stitching for the finish.  They I'll do my December recap for tomorrow's post.  I'll start working on the end of year collages but they will be posted the following day.

17 comments:

Julierose said...

Rosy is looking so wonderful--love all those greens, Wanda!! And i like that pink block you decided to leave in.
Lovely border for colorwash!!
hugs for a great New Year's Eve Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilts you finished yesterday look great! Happy New Year

Mary said...

I like you choice for the binding. It's frustrating when you have to keep working on a backing. By that point I just want to be finished!

Libby in TN said...

My Halloween/Thanksgiving cactus is blooming again, too!

Nann said...

I knew you'd find a #30!

Georgia1937 said...

The bottom binding is PERFECT for the quilt. Good Job ((:

JJM said...

Rosy looks so green till you enlarge it and see all those pretty colorful prints. It has been such a fun year watching every day to see what you create and share with us. And look forward to your year end post….. Sending wishes for this new year to be a healthy happy one for you.

JJM

Enjoyed seeing your indoor garden of cactus blossoms

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt Wanda, I never thought of working with Kaffe Fassett prints until I saw many of your quilts. I have made two and each turned out beautifully.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great use of your Kaffe prints in the little colourwash quilt. Loving your 'rosy in greens' quilt. I too, like the little rogue splash of pink!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

... oh, and Happy New year Wanda. I've enjoyed following along with your daily posts.

Mystic Quilter said...

So pleased that you decided to leave the pink in there Wanda. Lovely bright smaller colourwash.

Barbara Anne said...

Rosy is lovely and the pink is the perfect pop of color. Love your 2nd quilt and its joyful colors, too. Methinks you're the Color Queen!

Happy New Year to you and may the coming year bring much delight to all and peace to the world.

Hugs!

Vicki W said...

That's going to be a reapply pretty quilt and you are going to have a nice early finish for 2024!

Linda Swanekamp said...

All the beautiful colors in today's post are much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Rosy is such an interesting quilt with so much to look at with all those different fabrics. I’m glad you were able to get it done. I finished up the maroon 16 patch blocks. There are 30 blocks mostly with tan 16 patch blocks hanging on the design wall. I will give it another look tomorrow to see if there is anything I want to change. This one is for a friend of my brother.

Penny Schine Gold said...

I do love this quilt, even though green (on the bluish side) is a color I tend to avoid, even though I love yellow-green. Something about how you've mixed it with other colors, including quite a bit of blue, but also the bits of other things, makes me see it differently, even though it's the dominant color.

O'Quilts said...

of course I love it xo