Sunday, December 10, 2023

Going through books again............


A while back I showed the bookcase in my studio that had 2 collapsed shelves.  The books were too heavy for the shelves.  My son stopped by yesterday afternoon and I had him do a few things for me.  One was removing the bookcase.  This meant moving out the last shelf of books.  I had gone through the other 4 shelves earlier.

This is a book from 2014 and has 2 pages devoted to each of a lot of the "in" people in the quilting world, a lot of them fabric designers.


This is Kaffe Fassett's quilt.  There aren't any directions for most of the quilts. The border around it is 2 different size squares and the center, 9 patches and plain blocks.  It is one of the few quilts that he designed with mostly green fabrics.  If I used 2", 4" and 6" finished size squares and 6" finished 9 patches it would be a nice throw quilt size.  I might make it one row longer.  I could use some of those 6.5" squares that are already cut and some 2.5" strips that are already cut.  That sounds like a winner to me and it is one I could start assembling in little bits of time between other projects.  And this is just one book that inspired me; there are several more.

The short daylight each day is keeping me out of the basement studio for too many hours.  I don't like to be down there at night.  I always feel like someone could be looking in the windows and watching my every move.  I need to get down there early today and get one flannel backing pressed and loaded on the longarm.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes if you don't like the feeling the basement gives you at night I would do the same - although I might add window coverings too. That quilt looks like something you could do easily!

Julierose said...

Funny about your bookshelf--mine has four shelves--two of which collapsed on me!! Not good--so I have donated about 15 of my many many quilting books. I have only kept a few that I find inspiring....that is a really pretty KF one...nice and dense in feel.
50 this morning and rains in the forecast beginning later on this morning.
We are taking a slow start to Sunday, in robes and sipping coffees...nice
hugs, Julierose

Tami Von Zalez said...

Now that is a Kaffe quilt I could love. I think those prints need big blocks to showcase them.

I stop sewing around 5pm because my studio is downstairs and it gets dark and cold on these winter days.

JJM said...

Featuring K F’s quilt today “For the Love of Color”. ? Is that the name of the quilt or the book ? I can see why that quilt pattern is definitely calling you. So your book shelves are now gone or moved to another space in your studios ?


JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What an interesting quilt and I look forward to watching your version of it grow. How handy that you have some leftover bits to use in its creation.

Perhaps you need longer than necessary curtain rods for curtains on those basement windows and those rods would allow the curtains to be pushed to either side during the daytime. Maybe? I know what you mean about unknown critters and folks peeking in after dark. Shudder!

Rain here all day, evening, and overnight unless the forecast changes. Glub, glub! It's also crazy warm at 66*F but is supposed to be much cooler tomorrow.

Hugs!

Nann said...

Thank you for reminding about Rachel May. I enjoyed Modern Slant, and still have it. It's interesting to look up the featured designers to see if they are still quilting/designing/blogging -- so many aren't. But it was May's scholarly study that I first read -- really good social history with quilts involved. http://pegasusbooks.com/books/an-american-quilt-9781681774176-hardcover

starsthatblaze said...

Wanda, I think this is Leafy Rosy Quilt from KF’s Glorious Patchwork , 1997, which does include directions. I’ve made a couple from this
Starr

Linda Swanekamp said...

You can buy this great frosted film and have someone put it on your windows. My friend put frosted with leaves on her dining room windows on the lower ones as she has not been able to afford shutters, but wants the light. It would come off if you changed your mind.

Patty said...

I don’t think I have ever seen that book. I may have to see if the library has a copy. It gets dark so early and the sun doesn’t come up until half the day is over with! I wouldn’t want to be in the basement either.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, I've always loved the "Rosy" quilt by Kaffe Fassett, found on @creativebug and its also in his Patchwork with Liza Prior Lucy book (Tawny, Pastel & Leafy Rosy versions).

Mary said...

I would not enjoy being in a chilly basement after dark either. Basements are a rarity in Central Texas.

Kristin said...

You need curtains in your basement! Lined, so no one can see through them.

Agile Jack said...

This quilt looks like the Rosie quilt that they've made in lots of different color ways. That's the pattern I used for the quilt on my bed. I'm remembering that the nine patches and one-fabric squares finished at 9.5 inches. You could certainly make them any size you wanted.