Sunday, January 7, 2024

24 blocks...........


The pieces fell together into more blocks and now there are 24 ten inch blocks.  What held me up from finishing this earlier was whether I wanted some blocks scrappy.  If you look at the top left block it is made of 2 fabrics, the typical way to make a double 4 patch block.  The block below it is made with 3 fabrics; the big squares aren't the same fabric as the light fabric in the 4 patches.  There are 9 blocks made with 2 fabrics, the rest of the blocks have 3 fabrics.  I tried to match the color and value with the 3rd fabric and did pretty well in most of the blocks.  I think this layout is the final one so I'll sew it together today.  It will be 40" x 60".


All of the leftover red based 4 patches will be sewn into a table runner or 2 placemats and 3 coasters.

All that was left in the box was two 4 patches and 28 of the larger squares.  The 4 patches will go into the Kaffe orphan block box.








Now it is beginning to feel like winter.  We got between 2 and 3 inches of heavy wet snow.  My snow plow guy came and cleared the driveway after I took this photo and I shoveled the porch and sidewalk.  It is supposed to get up to 35 degrees today and tomorrow so I'm not sure how much of this snow will be left when the next storm hits us on Tuesday.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

We got about 1.5" of snow and then some sleet--it was beautiful last night watching the snow swirling around...you're right, now it feels like Winter...
34 here this morning; so now it is raining...the snowplow guy texted that he didn't have even enough to plow...patches of grass appearing...

Your dbl 4-patch is so colorful...great you got it together...

I am still sidelined and it seems that my old rotary cuff injury is playing up--I must have reached and nudged it again!! Ugh!!
Stay warm....
Hugs, Julierose

Helenchaffin said...

when we hear the word snow we know it's going to rain because that's what we get 😄the quilt blocks look fantastic together !

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I do like the look of snow but I admit to getting tired of it after awhile. I heard we might be getting some more maybe next week or so but not sure if it is before or after the arctic air that we are expecting at the end of the week. I like all those red colors together

JustGail said...

The snow you just got totally missed us. We've still got a bit of snow on the ground from the last snow we got, weird to see the green grass around it with the warm temperatures we've had. Right now the forecast shows between 6-11 inches of snow for Tuesday-Wednesday. Ugh. Looking forward even less to the cold that will follow.

I like the mix of 2 and 3 color blocks, the way the diagonals appear and recede over the quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Brrrrr - that snow makes it look COLD (not that it hasn't been cold here without snow, but still ...). So happy your blocks fell together (I usually make my double four patches scrappy). And those reds are so dynamic!

JJM said...

It was like playing the adult version of “I Spy” on this quilt trying to find the 3 fabric blocks. And such fun. It’s a great quilt Wanda.

And your reds will make a gorgeous valentine table dressing.

I can’t believe you got some snow and we still are waiting for some… they are forecasting single digit temps and maybe sone snow by the end of the week. Very unusual for us for sure. (The no snow part)

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Wonderful, amazing, and speedy progress, Wanda! Applause! And getting a 2nd project at the same time is delightful.

We got 1" of rain yesterday and the snow/ice stayed west of us in the mountains.

Hugs!

Patty said...

I like the scrappy blocks. I think it makes that top more interesting. I did the same thing with the 16 patch blocks on three of the four tops I have got going on. Not much snow here. When I went out today for a quick errand what was coming down wasn’t really snow or rain. Grapple maybe?

Mystic Quilter said...

Your latest blocks here I just love! Using three fabrics in some and the usual two in the others has worked magic. Stunning result.