Friday, January 26, 2024

First finish for January 2024.............


Batik is so much prettier in person than it is in a photo.  The top was finished in March of 2019 so not quite 5 years waiting in line.  When I started making the blocks I hadn't really analyzed any pineapple log cabin quilts that I saw so I made both light and dark blocks, not realizing that most quilts were all light blocks or all dark blocks.  I'm glad I came up with a layout that worked and used most of the blocks.  It is 69.5" x 89" after quilting and binding.  It has Hobbs 80/20 batting in it.  I used my accuquilt die cutter to cut all of the pieces from many containers of batik scraps.


Yesterday I decided to sew the columns of crooked cobblestones.  I added some more blocks to either the top or bottom of the columns to make it taller.  I have the tops lined up here and will need to fill in with some batik strips to make the rows all the same length.







Last night I was checking the leftover blocks and found enough 3" wide blocks (the 5 center rows) to make another column.  Since the columns in the above photo aren't sewn to each other yet I can experiment with its position in the quilt.  I think it might be inserted between the 5th and 6th columns.



Today I need to start stitching the binding of the next quilted quilt.  It will be easier that the batik one because it will be Kaffe fabric.

 

16 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

All quilts are time consuming but that pineapple lob cabin is amazing! Luv the scrappiness of the crooked cobblestone

Libby in TN said...

The movement from light to dark in the pineapple quilt is very evident in your photo.

Vicki said...

That pineapple quilt is gorgeous! It’s so beautiful in the photo - I can’t even imagine what it must look like in person. Thank you for sharing all the fabulous quilts you make :)

Cathy said...

Oh joy! What a glorious sight on a cold winter day! What a lovely log cabin. And I like the layout and that you went ahead and used both the light and dark blocks rather than set one or the other aside.

Julierose said...

Pineapple turned out beautifully--love that light/dark areas effect;)))
And cobblestones is really coming together...nice that you found another column's worth to use...
39 degrees and raining (again--sigh!) this morning. Am pin basting the last of the three Christmas Ojos table toppers...and starting to quilt the 2nd--so indoors is good...
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is really pretty in this kind of layout

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are so right- batiks don't photograph well. Watercolor paintings have the same problem. Anyways, the value gradation in the quilt is so stunning.

JJM said...

Pineapple Logcabin ~ Another spectacular quilt completed and enlarging this quilt shows the fabrics off quite well on my computer. Brings all fabrics into detailed focus.

Such a fun piece, your crooked cobblestone is.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Your Pineapple quilt is glorious and I hope you keep it and use it so those joyous colors inspire you even as you sleep - osmosis, you know!!

Crooked Cobblestones is growing nicely, too, and I wish you well on the binding you'll be sewing down. Cheers that the fabric will be easier stitching through, too!

Hugs!

Amy F. said...

What a beautiful pineapple quilt! This block pattern is always dazzling no matter what colors are used. I have a pineapple quilt on my list for this year!

Kristin said...

The pineapple quilt is stunning!!! I love it and the crooked cobblestones.

Nann said...

It's beautiful, Wanda -- worth all the time and effort. The 'colorwash' layout stamps it as yours! And those cobblestones are calling me.

Patty said...

The pineapple quilt is amazing! A work of art!

Mary said...

When you are working with a basket of scraps which can be rather random in nature, how do you plan your blocks so that the final quilt has a definite design...not sure I asked the question in a way that makes sense.

Vicki W said...

I think the pineapple quilt looks even better with the mix of light and dark blocks. It has a very cool colorwash effect.

JustGail said...

I'm glad you didn't to the research first. My eyes and brain are quite happy looking at this quilt. They are finding it far more interesting than all light or all dark blocks.