Monday, July 23, 2007

Making a Series



I usually don't know I am making a series when I make the first quilt. This series was started when I saw a crazy pieced quilt in a book and it was called "Contained Crazy". I just loved the name and thought it really applied to me. I think that being artistic and looked at as "different" always made me wonder if I was a little crazy.


This first piece was done with the fabrics of the time period, late 1980's, and in the style of the one I saw in the book.





The next one was made after taking a color class that taught us how to create transparency. My goal was to find the perfect shade of gray to be at the intersection of the black and white strips that were containing the "crazy".




















The third piece was made by abandoning the strips that contained the crazy. This one was made after I had started collecting batik fabrics. When I got the center panel done, I couldn't find a fabric for the 4 angled corners. My daughter had just made me a huge zebra fabric pillow and the extra fabric was just laying there in my studio. I happened to lay the batik piecing on it and my corners were chosen.

It had now become a close up of a zebra face. The squares appliqued on the side inserts are his eyes, the squares on the center bottom insert are his nostrils. Then I added the 1/4" wide strips of batik loosely at the top to represent his mane.





6 comments:

mzjohansen said...

These are great ! Wonderful !

Elsie Montgomery said...

I love the 'transparency' one especially. Good job!

elsie
elsiequilts.blogspot.com

Joyce said...

I love the idea of contained crazy. The zebra is wonderful.

Laurie Ann said...

My fave is the red/white/black one. Awesome!

meggie said...

I like them all, but the Zebra is really clever!

Anonymous said...

They make me smile. For me, someone who feels so opposite of creative, I love reading your processes. It gives me insight and I feel that I am growing in it.
Laura
tlcahaynes @ gmail.com