Thursday, July 12, 2007

Strip Pieced Watercolor

If you are a fan of Deanna Spingola's Strip Pieced Watercolor, you may recognize this one from "More Strip-Pieced Watercolor Magic". It is on page 74 and also on the back cover.

Deanna was at a guild meeting where I gave a program and saw my colorwash quilts with raw edge flowers appliqued on them. She called me the next morning to see if I would do a quilt for her upcoming book. When I met with her she requested that I add my raw edge flowers since it would be different than the others in the book.



I applique by machine with the quilt top in a hoop and a loose cut piece of fabric on top. I don't use any fusible because I like little the raised effect of the fabric. I start free motion stitching like pen and ink drawing and add each piece of fabric as I am ready for it.

Here are some close up pictures of the free motion drawing by machine.



2 comments:

Diane said...

Your new header looks great! This is my favorite of your colorwash quilts

A Creative Life said...

Love this quilt. I am in the middle of making a wedding quilt for my niece and still deciding on what sort of embroidery I should do in the white rectangular blocks in the quilt centre.