Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What am I working on?

I have been showing you some of my older pieces but I always have three or four projects going at the same time. This one is part of a series started in 1993. I start out with 4 strips sewn together and then i use my triangle template to cut triangles from the bottom, then the top, so each strip set yields triangles with a long light strip and some with a long dark strip.
Here are piles of some of the combinations that I have already cut.
This is the quilt that started it all. Its name is Prismatic Garden, a garden as viewed through a prism. I made it 1993 and only had slides of it so my son took a picture of the slide to make a digital picture for me. In 1995 or 96 I sold this piece through an art gallery in one of the small towns near me. A couple years later I really regretted selling it because I loved it so much. The lesson I learned from this is, you have to let go of the piece that is precious to be able to go forward and make more. It may be just surrendering the thought that it is so precious. You can almost convince yourself that it was the greatest and you could never make anything better. If I hadn't sold it I probably would never have made the next 10 pieces and still be wanting to make more. The goal is to make one even better than #1. This has been my best selling series.

I'll be posting more from this series in the next few days including the one I am working on. I'm just not sure it is working yet, and I may need to piece some more strips sets. I started out with 38 strip sets with the new one.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

I can see why it's so popular - it's awesome!

Dixie Redmond said...

I can understand why you wish you hadn't sold it - but I also understand why it pushed you to make more. Your work is beautiful.

Dixie

meggie said...

That really is quite stunning. No wonder it sold.
I would love to do a workshop with you! What a pity the world is so wide!
But thankyou for sharing your ideas this way!

TB said...

I can well see why these sell as this is appealing.