Friday, July 6, 2007

Colorwash with Applique



I made this colorwash back in the early 1990's, my first experience in that technique with fabrics other than floral calicoes. I had just taken a workshop that encouraged us not to let a piece of art become so precious to us that we feared adding something more to it. I decided to add applique and since I love triangles that seemed the natural choice. I have been asked many times why I didn't leave the applique off. The only answer is nothing ventured, nothing gained.


I like this piece a lot and it hangs in my dining room/gallery.


After I loosely zigzagged with clear thread around the triangles, I couched rayon ribbon floss over that stitching.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Some of the triangles look transparent, almost as if you left a see-through ruler sitting atop the quilt.

Candy Schultz said...

It looks so perfect I can't imagine it without the triangles.

TB said...

I like the appliqued triangles. Wonderful risk you took there!