Thursday, August 24, 2023

Batting day.............


Yesterday was the day to open the new roll of batting.  I need to cut for several quilts.






This is what 30 yards looks like.  I cut pieces for three quilts and it still looks this big.  It comes wrapped tightly in plastic and starts expanding when I cut that away.  I like batting on the roll because there are no wrinkles to deal with like in packaged batting.  This roll is really soft batting (80/20 Hobbs).  Every roll isn't identical because I only order it every 14 months.  I have only gotten one roll that wasn't very soft and seemed thinner and that was at least 5 years ago.


This is the first one I cut for.  I loaded the backing on Tuesday and now the batting and top have been added.  I'll choose thread today.





The garden center where I buy most of my plants had a little freebie the week before Mother's day.  If you want to see how little it was when I got it, click here and look at the plant in the center of the second photo.  The leaves are thick and fuzzy.  I didn't catch the name of it unfortunately.


Yesterday the second flower bloomed and it is a different color.  This is just one plant so that surprised me.  There is one more bud that should be open in a couple days.







It didn't reach 100 yesterday but look at that dew point.  It is rare for our area to get above 80.  I only went out twice, early to do some watering and at 7 to pick Sun Gold cherry tomatoes.  We may set a record for the warmest low temperature for yesterday's date.  It was supposed to stay in the 80s overnight.  It was still 84 at 11:30 last night.

9 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

Lawd that roll of batting looks bigger around than I am tall😂 I buy my off the bolt,pretty flowers,we've reached the high 100:s here,heat index was 112 yesterday,happy quilting !

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

If I had room for the big bolt I would order one but I just do not have room to store it. I don't mind using the packages the wrinkles come our really well on the 3 roller hand frame, I'm able to smooth all the wrinkles out as I roll it.
I think it will finally cool off here starting on Sunday - sure hope so!!

Julierose said...

Yikes that DP is so high!! We are still in "coolish" mode here this morning.

Tom and I headed out early to get our yearly blood work done at the Clinic.
Coffee never tastes better than when you cannot have it right away ;)))

I pin basted autumn stars yesterday and am deciding how to quilt it...hand or machine--
hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

Batting ~ quilt top on your long arm ~ flowers ~ your HEAT ! Interesting post today Wanda . My sister is in Sandwich visiting my other sister that lives there. The heat is unbearable for a gal from the mountains.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Wish I had the space for a long arm machine and a roll of batting. Goodness, that's huge! You do make good use of your fabric and equipment.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the upper 90s*F but the rest of the 10 day forecast calls for highs in the 80s*F and rain. May it be so!

Hugs!

Shepherdess55 said...

Your freebie plant looks like a Gloriosa Daisy (Rudbeckia hirta).

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I buy that same batting and love having it on hand to use when needed. Unfortunately I do not have those lovely big tables to cut on! Love your freebie flower, and how interesting to have two different colors of flowers on the same plant!
I am SO over summer. We here are all past ready for fall weather. Our actual temperature here today was 109 Fahrenheit. Enough already!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Your unnamed flower looks like Gallardia or blanket flower. You just keep working away on your quilting while I've been sidetracked lately with knee surgery recuperation. Been doing hand stitching during that time though. Hope the weather returns to normal soon for all of us.

Mystic Quilter said...

The batting rolls can be pretty heavy, at least the one I have presently tucked away.