Monday, August 28, 2023

Hand stitching started.............


Yesterday was a mostly lazy day.  I did turn on the iron and pressed the binding fabric and cut the 6 strips.  They were sewn on the quilt late yesterday and I started the hand stitching last night.  I have almost one short side completed.  I should be able to finish it by the end of the month.

I spent one hour outside cutting down a thorny bush that has come over the property line from my neighbor.  I think it is a Gooseberry bush but it never has blooms or fruit.  The thorns on it are wicked. I go through this every year because it send roots underground and my soil is so soft there.  The main bush is twice the size of what is on my property.  I looked up how to kill it and salt 2:1 with water is suggested.  I think I'll be spraying the cut off areas with it and see if it works.  I would be happy if none of it is on my property next year.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Pretty binding fabric--relaxing to sew it on, I think;)))
A nuisance with that gooseberry bush growing over to your property...
hope the salt works to stop it...
64 here, cloudy with 63 DP----hoping this humidity goes away soon...
hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

We put a barrier made of plastic designed to contain bamboo across an area that was having lots of invading roots - it goes down about 20 inches, which is quite a trench to dig, but so far very effective. Maybe you could recruit some digging help?

Ceci

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope you can figure out how to get rid of the bush that keeps growing on your area.

JJM said...

Pastel Diamonds ~ headed toward the finish line. Looking forward seeing its grand finish. Top is so lovely.

Does your neighbor even know that thorny bush is there any more ? I think I’d have a visit with them, it’s one to get rid of totally if you could.. I too know those thorns are hairy and so wickedly sharp.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Love your binding fabric and am impressed your cut it, joined it, sewed it to the quilt, and started stitching it down all in one day! Well done!

Wishing your well in getting rid of the thorny invasive bush and you've gotten some good suggestions! We have thorny blackberry bushes popping up everywhere we don't want them and they silently wait to snag your skin or clothes as you walk by. No fun.

Hugs!

Patty said...

I really like the pastel colors in that quilt. I would think if you would dump a salt solution on the roots every week that bush would eventually die.