Tuesday, August 1, 2023

July 2023 monthly recap............


Three finishes for July.  That makes up for only one in June and I'm back on my plan for an average of 2 finishes per month, 14 finishes so far this year.  The little green zig zag quilt is 29.5" x 36.5".  In the center the Snail's Trail made with Wishwell Weather Report fabric is 58" x 83".  Improv Strippy is 75.5" x 98.5".  

I keep track of my quilt tops by size in 3 categories.  Two of these were in the large category (over 80" on the longest edge).  There are still 14 in that size group waiting to be finished.


One quilt top was finished and it is about 64" X 76".  I think it appears to be a much bigger quilt but the triangles are 2" finished; 4" pinwheels.  This one is inspired by the Fonthill quilt in Kaffe's book "Passionate Patchwork".  His version is made from a variety of solid looking and stripe fabrics, not his prints.  I used mostly batiks but added a few Kaffe prints and stripes.  I didn't have many choices for the stripe fabric in my huge stash but this one from the Lille line that Kaffe did the coloring for works pretty well.  If you want some of that fabric it is going for $50 a yard OBO on the popular bidding site.  I'm glad I bought it way back when.  I made the center panel 8" narrower to achieve a more rectangular quilt.


This is the best photo I have of the quilt in the book (without taking time to take a new photo).  I learned a lot making this quilt top.  When I first was attracted to the quilt in the book I just saw a medallion quilt and the striped fabric caught my attention.  I didn't notice until I read the fabric suggestions that the dark triangles in the 2 single borders were all the same fabric and that they were always paired with a red/rosy/orange color.  I don't have as many low contrast pinwheels and light pinwheels although I tried my best to make some.  Working with my interpretation of the palette that Kaffe described was interesting.  I think I might be cured of thinking I have to make someone else's quilt just because I love it.  I'm really ready to do my own thing.  I'm glad I made this one though.


I have to add a little bit of nature's colors.  The nasturtium is in full sun yesterday morning.

 

18 comments:

Julierose said...

Your July finishes are so lovely!![ I really like that Snail's Trail].

Fonthill came out so beautifully--that is a labor of love for sure..;))
Nice and cool this morning at 64 degrees--a bit on the humid side so far with DP of 62--but perhaps the sun will dry it out in the coming hours...
Hugs, Julierose

Helenchaffin said...

I didn't get much done for July either,too much playing in the garden & adventures with my beagle 🤣 beautiful job on the finishes, & wow! that snails trail! I'd be like the snail & still at the beginning 🤣

Hannah said...

I’m really liking the Fonthill top. That’s a lot of seam matching, looks great!

Mary said...

Half way through the year and you are still on track to meet your finishing goals! I love the way the striped borders bring definition to the Fonthill layout.

Ramona said...

Fonthill is gorgeous. I have enjoyed watching your progress as this quilt came together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

some of your batiks that you show at the end sure look familiar I'm sure I have some of them. I really like your Fonthill quilt - the colors and the design. I can't imagine paying $50 a yard!

Quiltdivajulie said...

"I think I might be cured of thinking I have to make someone else's quilt just because I love it. I'm really ready to do my own thing." AMEN - you do such marvelous work of your own, just do it!!

Nann said...

Your July finishes: baby bear, mama bear, papa bear! Looking at your Fonthill and the original I think I prefer yours with (a) the narrower center and mostly (b) the greater contrasts. Looking forward to see how the Muse guides you in August.

P.S. You've encouraged me to cut into the Aussie stash.

helenreimers said...

I never really cared much for pinwheels but your Fonthill quilt has completely changed my mind. I love it.

JJM said...

Your variety of July finishes are so eye appealing with a zig-zag ~ swirls ~ and stripes … each one a unique in design and fabrics.

Fonthill top is sensational Wanda it shouts ‘look at me’ ~ love it and happy you tackled and finished such an intriguing piece. Changing the square to a rectangle makes it your own.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

You and your wonderful quilts are an inspiration! Applause, applause!!!!!

Hugs!

Agile Jack said...

I've been a little undecided on your Fonthill quilt, but now that it's done I LOVE it!!! I think I like your fabrics more than the originals! Beautiful Wanda!!!

MaryJo said...

I knew you would finish Fonthill by the EOM !
You must have found your blue pinwheels ?!

And after your last comment, maybe I won't tackle it after all.
It was truly fun watching your progress. ;)

Patty said...

You did a great job getting three finishes for July. The Fonthill top is beautiful!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your Fonthill creation is stunning! Congratulations on such a beautiful quilt, the colours are fabulous and brighter than in the original by KF.

sue s said...

Fonthill turned out really well. I like it more rectangular too. And a great use for that expensive stripe! I think it really makes the quilt.

Diane Perin said...

Your Fonthill quilt top looks great. You did a great job of using what you had to create a “vibe” that honors Kaffe’s version. I am alsways inspired by how much you accomplish!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Fonthill is amazing, love the colours! Thanks for sharing all your quilty progress.