Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Plant identified............


A friend I share plants with was walking by when I went out to the mailbox.  I asked her to use the app on her phone to identify this group of yellow flowers.  They aren't brown eyed or black eyed susans but I didn't know exactly what they were.  She knew right away they are a native species because she used to work at a nearby forest preserve.  Her app identified them as Smooth Oxeye which is more commonly known as False Sunflower.  It has a Latin name also of course.


Being a native plant it grows easily in poor soil.  It stands 3-5' tall.  I was given the original plant in the mid 1990s by a friend who said her grandma's garden was all native plants and that is where this one came from.  I have had it in many places because it spreads and plants itself.  Since my back garden is a semi-wild bee, butterfly and bird garden I don't mind having it wherever it comes up.


I have one of my small pieces ready to hand baste.  One load of laundry is done, a batch of cookie dough mixed and ready to bake today.  One more backing is pieced.  I need to cut batting now.  

We are in a week of nice low humidity again.  That will change Sunday when humidity and mid 90s are predicted.  This is pretty typical in this area that it gets extremely hot when the kids are starting back to school.

10 comments:

Libby in TN said...

In Greenland yesterday where the temperature reached a balmy 48!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the colors in the rectangles colorwash! I biggie sized it so I could enjoy it more. Our weather has been damp which is affecting lots of the leaves which don't look as healthy as they should.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our local weather people are calling this week “false fall” which feels wonderful but will only last until Saturday when the near 100 temps return. Your flowers are SO pretty!

Julierose said...

Lovely Native Oxeyes! I've never seen those before...so pretty...
66 here this morning and overcast with 65 DP--need I say Muggy? Again!!;(((
It must have rained overnight as everything is soaked out there, too.
Our new AC is working tip-top so far...hugs, Julierose

JustGail said...

I'm glad you found out what the flowers are. Fantastic that they are a native.
Your color wash quilt top is pretty, as always. The 2 light spots, and not centered are a nice variation.

Nann said...

I use the Picture This app -- $30/year. It identifies all kinds of plants and tells a lot about them (folklore, recommended cultivars, growing instructions, etc.). Enjoy the sunshine!

Barbara Anne said...

Your colorwash quilt is lovely and I like the rectangles!

We like growing wild flowers, too, and it's clear the bees and butterflies enjoy it all. The rabbits love the clover.

I need to mix up some cookie batter. Maybe later today. You've inspired me!

Hugs!

joe tulips said...

The mystery is solved! Sweet yellow flowers. It has been beautiful this week and not looking forward to the 90s this weekend. I’ll be back at work next week, school starts. Your quilts are always awesome!

Ann said...

I’m trying to keep our native plants alive in this extended heat wave. There are more I’d like to add but they will have to wait. Your false oxeye is cheerful; perfect for summer.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice you found out what the plant is