Wednesday, August 9, 2023

First August finish..............


The last hand stitches were in the binding shortly after lunch so it was time to take it to the basement to the double design wall for its photo.  The main objective for this quilt was to use the larger print Australian fabrics and fussy cut what I could and close enough on the ones that were smaller yardage or scraps. 

In 1976 when I was teaching my first sampler quilt class the first reference I found to this block called it Hole in the Barn Door.  Most everyone calls it Churn Dash now which really is another name for the block.  I elongated the side bars so I could use a larger center square and still have a 12" block.

The final size after quilting is 54" x 80.5".



The back is another Australian fabric that I found at a bargain price.  The seam in the backing is not an exact pattern match but pretty close.

I used Hobbs 80/20 batting, SoFine and a cotton thread on top, changed in midstream but I have a hard time finding the spot where I changed.  The color is close, and Superior Bottom line was in the bobbin.




I found a better choice for backing for the Kaffe yarn dyed woven stripe quilt top and there is enough for the whole back.  It is a Brandon Mably print, part of the Kaffe Collective fabrics.






The Brown Eyed Susans started blooming a few days ago.  There weren't any in this spot last year.  Since this is my bee, bird, and butterfly garden, it is a little wild and wherever anything comes up is OK.







Another batch of the Brown Eyed Susans came up next to the perennial Black Eyed Susans.  The Tiger Lilies only have a couple blooms left.  Over to the right is a Peony right next to the bird feeder.  This garden didn't suffer from the earlier drought conditions.  We are in an area considered drier than usual now after getting 6" of rain in July (only 1.1" in June).


I don't know what to call these yellow flowers.  They have a totally different leaf from the Brown Eyed Susan and they bloom much earlier in the summer than either Brown or Black Eyed Susans.  The friend who gave me the original plant 28 years ago said they were native prairie plants.  I usually refer to them as a type of Rudbeckia but I couldn't find a match searching the web.

16 comments:

joe tulips said...

If you have an iPhone, take a picture of the flower. Then go look at the photo. Slide it up. You should get a “look up plant” to click on. I’ve tried it on plants I know and it does a pretty good job.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Your quilt turned out great - I love all those prints and the one on the back. The flowers are so pretty and wild looking I love having flowers pop up like that. I have black eyed Susans and one or two other kinds that all look a lot alike I know I looked up names last year but I don't remember what they were called. I have an ap on my phone called Picture This - you can look up some for free or purchase the ap after awhile which I did as I was using it so much.

Linda Swanekamp said...

A very rich looking finish! The backing choices are all wonderful. Most of what is blooming in my garden is coneflowers right now.

JustGail said...

Your flowers look great! Mine...meh. Between totally ignoring weeding this year (that'll come back to bite me!) and being so dry, mine are pathetic. Any rain that's in the forecast seems to go around us, but the bit we do get is better than nothing. And at least we haven't been dealing with 95+ degree temperatures much, at least so far.

I like the new backing selection for the quilt.

JustGail said...

I forgot... the new finish is Gorgeous, as usual.

Julierose said...

What a beautiful finish for your "Hole in the Barn Door" quilt;))) It really does show off those lovely fabrics perfectly--nice work.
My MIL (sadly now gone from us) always had brown-eyed susans in her garden spot...she used to bring me bouquets when we were first married and lived a few blocks away from her...so pretty...
73 here with 64 DP and a cool NW breeze under scudding clouds in our blue blue skies today...lovely deck weather...hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

LOL -- I have a yard of that large-scale print that you show on the back. I contemplated it for the back of my Australian-print project but chose something else.

JJM said...

Fascinating post today Wanda. Beginning with ‘Churn Dash’ first August finish, it is a beautiful array of fabrics designed just for this quilt you have created. And OMG what a perfect backing for your Kaffe woven stripes ~

And photos of your back garden in full bloom ~ like ‘Mother Nature’ spreading its wings just for all your birds, butterflies and bees.

JJMa

Barbara Anne said...

Well done on your August finished quilt!! Isn't it wonderful?

The new backing fabric for your other quilt is absolutely perfect and how marvelous that you have enough of it, too! Hope it wasn't too much of a bother to find it.

Your garden looks lovely, a treasure for bees and butterflies and a delight to look at!

Hugs!

MissPat said...

While my rudbeckia took a big hit from the deer just as they were budding, new side shoot buds have appeared (I did spray deer repllent after the first hit), so there are bright spots of color in my garden now. Thankfully, the wanderers are easy enough to pull out, if they start to take over.
While the caladium fabric matched so well, the new one works and saves you from piecing the backing.
Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

Your garden is looking splendid, Hole in the Barn Door or Churn Dash is another great finish, love the fabrics and great choice for the backing, both colour and pattern design fit the front of the quilt perfectly.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a visually delicious post!! Your flowers are beautiful (and so is the quilt).

Patty said...

The Australia quilt is wonderful! That wavy stripe for the woven quilt is fantastic! How nice that you were gifted those brown eyed Susan’s and they are so big for just one year’s growth! I think the black eyed Susan that I plant last are finally going to bloom.

Vicki W said...

The quilt turned out great and YES to the new backing choice!

MaryJo said...

LOVE, LOVE the Brandon Mably print for your backing !!
I didn't know there were both, BLack and Brown Eyed Susans... :)

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

It might be the prairie sunflower (one of the many varieties). Some grow sparse with large-ish flowers and some grow in the shade along hedgerows, with a smaller flower. A Google search will turn up lots of variations. I use a phone app "Plant Net" free and pretty good get you into the ballpark.