Thursday, August 17, 2023

Sorting and testing............


I sorted all of the I Spy novelty prints into 2 piles, lights and darks.  Then I chose 4 fabrics for the blocks.  I haven't sewn any of the 4 patches yet but might get to it today.






 There are some that the parents may have to explain to the little ones, like the luggage labels.








The fabric at the bottom right is a Catfish Calhoun print.  I'm not familiar with the name but I have a couple other fabrics with his signature on them.






Here is a close up of th bottom right edge of the fabric.







A friend sent me a copy of this UK quilting magazine. It is the 100th issue and had a free gift included.









There was a package included of the templates to make a house block.  All of the pieces are cut from 3 sizes of strips, 1.5", 2", and 2.5".





I made a sample of scraps that were on my cutting table.  I didn't have enough of the light floral so since this is just a sample to try out the templates, I substituted another fabric that was laying there.  It is a 10" block.  I think the door is pretty skinny so I may choose my own variety of templates that I cut those 3 pieces from.

 

12 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I'm thinking on the door section, use the wider template (flowers) for the door and the narrower one (pink) for the sides. What a nifty thing for the magazine to include!

Mary said...

I've always loved house blocks, and I agree, the door is too narrow.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow that door is narrow I don't think I have seen any like that

Julierose said...

Really cute "I Spy" prints ;)))
Nice gift and with templates, too...I like your "Flower House"...very Summery...
Mizzling today and 68 muggy degrees...so, I went food shopping early and having my coffee now...
Hugs, Julierose

Nann said...

What's the content of that magazine like? Because it's packaged in a plastic bag I've never looked at an issue. What a fun group of novelty prints you've rounded up.

JJM said...

Your stash always amazes me ~ your novelty prints are so one oF a kind pieces its going to make such a happy quilt full of fun.

A quilting magazine from th UK… I know you will enjoy its content and will get some more ideas to spin off from. The house is very different than what would be created here in the states, I’m thinking.

JJM

MissPat said...

Not only is the door too narrow, it is too tall. I think I'd make it shorter as well as wider. Of course, that means that part of the template needs even more adjusting, but I have great faith that you are up to the task.

Barbara Anne said...

What delightful and fun I Spy fabrics and some little someone is going to LOVE this happy quilt!

How nice to have templates in a gift magazine from the UK!!

It's slightly cooler here and every little bit helps. :)

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

How much fun are all those prints! They will be so neat all together.

Patty said...

You have a lot of fun novelty fabrics! I have been wanting to make an I Spy quilt, but I just haven’t gotten around to it.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I subscribe to Today's Quilter. There is a free gift with each magazine, and they have quilting styles that aren't as common here in the U.S.

Hudson Quebec said...

I subscribe - love getting a gift every month - and the quilts are often appealing - also an "in depth" article about some designer or tradition, and in in-depth how-to about a technique or style. Not a sophisticated as Quiltmania. Worth watching for "special deals" on subscriptions - cost waaay less than single issue.