Saturday, August 26, 2023

Exploring stash............


I need to get the I Spy quilt top off the design wall so I looked for possible border fabrics.  I started with black and white prints but they looked so cold and drab.  Then I spied this paper clip print.  I wonder if kids know what a paper clip is.  I have 3 yards of it so I can cut the borders on the lengthwise grain and the leftover will become part of a backing on another quilt.  I want to put flannel on the back of this one.


I usually preorder a few of the new Kaffe Collective fabrics that come out twice a year.  I got my package yesterday.  My favorite new fabrics were designed by Philip Jacobs.  Isn't this one gorgeous?



This one is a little like his previous print Brassica but I think that one is decorative cabbage where this one is called Curly Kale.  



I had to have a piece of the blue Curly Kale too.  I'm planning another fussy cut quilt and these 3 should work great in it.






This is another that will work great fussy cut.  These are all large prints as you can see with the grid on the cutting mat.





This print will give me a lot of variety in style and color of fabrics.






The temperature was closer to 80 yesterday but with the dew point still in the mid 70s it was a feel like temperature of 93.  We are 60 miles west of Chicago and they were cooler and had lower humidity because of the lake breeze. 

I did venture out to fill the bird feeders and to cut off some leaves on my tomato plants.  The leaves are so thick that air can't get through to the plants in the back of the raised bed.


The Moss Roses don't care how hot or dry it is.  They are blooming like crazy every day.

Today is predicted to be in the mid to high 70s and the humidity should drop after noon.  I have yard work to do to I hope to get started.

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

very pretty fabric. It has been too hot here to even think of yard work. I rarely stay in the house as much as I have been this summer

Helenchaffin said...

my moss roses are fighting this heat as well,lots of pretty prints to get inspired

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yes to the paperclips - our grandson has played with them for a long time, making chains, unbending and re-bending, and on and on. I have some new preorder fabrics as well - they arrived late yesterday. PJ makes some gorgeous designs! Supposed to hit 100 again today and then our temps should begin to ease over the next week or so (hopefully).

MissPat said...

A lovely bunch of new Kaffe collection fabrics. I do like the one you said was your favorite, but would probably be afraid to cut it up. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a placce for it. We've escaped all the heat. Weatherman said yesterday that this August has been the coolest one in years (forgot how many). The weather patterns are so strange.
Pat

JJM said...

Oh Wanda ~ love those Kaffe prints and the paper clips is so fun to see and using it for your I Spy border is perfect. I will be going back to this post many times to look at those Kaffe prints.

Your moss roses are always a good accent blossom for any garden.

JJM

Julierose said...

Just lovely KF prints you've gotten there;))) I really love the Blue Kale one a lot...
Have fun using them...
Paper clip fabric is such a wonderful novelty one...hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

What wonderful fabrics and I love the paperclip fabric! Is it too busy for the border, but might it 'do' for binding? Flannel on the back is a great idea!

Hugs!

Patty said...

What beautiful fabric! You will have fun playing with that. I’m at a show again tonight and it was hot loading in, but now there is a nice breeze and it’s not raining! The moss roses are so pretty. It’s so nice they are giving you so much color this summer.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I am drooling over the Philip Jacobs fabrics, he is one of my very favorites! And I love the paper clips, it would be perfect for your I Spy!

Nann said...

We survived the heat wave -- so relieved that it was only two days. I thought of you when I indulged at the clearance rack at one of the LQS. A modest selection of Kaffe prints reduced to $6.99. Those jumbo prints are so luscious!

Nann said...

P.S. The paperclips are fun! They'll make a great backing.

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely choices there Wanda, I'm told that my order will be arriving this week,I didn't order the last one here, seeing now close up I wish I had done so - the local store will have them in soon so Ic ould always order a little then.