Thursday, March 31, 2022

Trimmed..........


I finally got around to trimming the uneven edge on this quilt top.  The width is now 79" and length 99".  I turned the photo 90 degrees to look more like the twin bed size quilt that it will be,

None of the colors in this quilt were planned.  It was just made from all of the first cut crooked strips in a box with the goal of having 2 different values in each pair of fabrics.  It is really hard to get an accurate photo of the depth of color in this one.  Batiks have a slight sheen and are much more elegant in person. 


I took some nature photos 2 days ago and forgot to post them yesterday.  Here is the Lenten Rose plant with its bud showing color now.  I hope the rabbits won't bother it.




Speaking of rabbits, a lot of the lower branches on one of my Compact Burning Bushes have been nipped off.





There are 3 of these bushes and this one was the most distressed in our hot summer last year.  I'm so happy to see it has leaf buds starting on it.  The other 2 bushes have growth too.



Spring is starting very slowly here.  We had several nights in a row below freezing this week and days in the high 30s.  Yesterday was warm, near 60, and rainy. Today is supposed to be 30s with possible snow mixed with the rain.  This is my early Peony plant just starting to peek out of the ground.  Most of the growth so far in the back garden has been lilies.  

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Your quilt is moving along well...you've been busy!!
We have a few little green shoots here and there, but I haven't been out watching their progress much; today it is raining--which is so good as we are in deficit already...hugs, Julierose

Gene Black said...

I do like this quilt. I agree about photographing batiks...they never seem to look as rich and elegant in a photo.

Libby in TN said...

So far the rabbits have ignored my Lenten Roses, but they have decimated the monkey grass. My peonies are almost a foot high now. I'm always amazed at how they suddenly pop out of the ground. I have a vibernum that I was convinced was deader than a doornail, but I can see leave on it this morning. Ain't Nature grand!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt looks great - I almost hate having all the plants doing their flowering thing right now - the weather says maybe frost tonight!

JJM said...

Improv looks nice and polished and ready for quilting, I’m looking forward to see what stitch you will use to quilt this one with.

Your gardens are showing lots of spring life.

JJM

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the quilt! It has order but such variety. Great size. My helleborus had buds, but it snowed, froze and today high winds and rain preventing me from seeing how they are faring. I have a yellow, light pink and dark pink but what state they are in is unknown today.

Needled Mom said...

It will be such fun to see the new beds this year. A year makes such a difference. Your weather has certainly been erratic this spring. The quilt looks beautiful.

Lesley Gilbert said...

Loving this quilt so far, lots of lovely colours. Good to see your buds are starting to flourish and hopefully lots of blooms in the coming months. Sun. Mon. Tue. I spent clearing out last years old growth, ready for our Wed. garden recycle pick-up. No sewing for me the past few weeks but hopefully again soon. I'm still knitting Beanies and learnt about Helix knitting last week, so now enjoying this new method, using 2 strands of wool - one plain and one variegated. Off to Scotland for 4 days in May so something to look forward to :)

judith lockhart said...

I just love how this quilt turned out - it must have been really fun putting the fabrics together and then see them all turn out so well together!! Beautiful job!

Ruth L. said...

I can't convey how much I love this quilt, especially since I was so unmoved by the individual blocks. Oh, how I wish I had your knack.

Vicki W said...

It is such a striking quilt!