Sunday, March 27, 2022

Improv strippy sewn...........


It is hard to get a good photo of this quilt top because it is big and my longarm frame is in the way.  The top is 3" longer than the width of the 2 design walls.  The shortest row measures about 79" so all of the other rows will get trimmed to match that.  The top edge is straight, the uneven bottom edge is laying on the floor.  I cut the 9" row into two 4.5" rows and sewed on on each end.  It will be about 79" x 99" before quilting.  As large as that sounds the drop on the sides would barely cover the mattress on a double bed.  AND if you have one of those new really tall mattresses the drop wouldn't even cover the mattress.  I have to laugh when I see the charts that tell what size a quilt needs to be for all of the bed sizes.  Most charts are still based on the old 5-6" thick mattresses.  The drop on this one would cover the mattress and box springs on a twin size bed.


On this view I am standing at the end of the longarm and the design walls are 84" tall, 96" wide.





I was able to get a decent photo of the orange bloom yesterday.  This one is hanging way down past the shelf the pot sits on.

We got 1.5" of rain last week and the ground is pretty wet.  It's only supposed to get a little above freezing so I'll stay inside today.

 

8 comments:

Julierose said...

that is one big quilt--and the new mattresses are surely so much bigger in depth that none of my older quilts come near to covering them!! I think their charts need an update..Have a great Sunday hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

Oh Wanda, your second photo of quilt top shows it looking so much bigger than the first photo. And this quilt top is amazing to say the least, it has a fun electrifying bursts of colors. Of course it does, its another Wandaful creation.

JJM

Vicki W said...

That is so pretty! You are right about mattress sizes. I now make the quilts for my queen size bed at least 92" square but 95" is better.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt is gorgeous! Love it. Snow covered ground here and 20 degrees now. I love the size of the quilt.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a fun quilt! It sings!

Danice G said...

What a large, beautiful quilt! I so admire the time and work that goes into those larger quilts.

patty a. said...

The improv quilt is fabulous! It is so nice you are still getting flowers on your cacti. The orange flower is so pretty!

Cindy said...

What a magnificent quilt!!!!! and it is HUGE!!!! My first thought is that it is heavy already. Your quilts are magical!!!!