Friday, March 25, 2022

Row 10 sewn................


I moved some rows around and think I have a pretty good balance of dark and light now.  Then I sewed the 9" row and put it up on the right edge.  I need to add another small section to the bottom of it.  9 of the rows will finish at 10" tall and one row at 9".  I could try to insert the 9" row in the middle somewhere or I could trim the row on the left to 9.5" to match the right edge row.  If I did trim it I could try the 9" rows in as the second row from each end.  Right now as I write this it is late at night (Thursday) and none of that sounds like fun. In the morning I can make those decisions better.  I'm getting close to sewing this one together.


I did finish sewing the colorwash together but it isn't pressed yet.  I just smoothed it out on the design wall for the photo.  I haven't turned it to see which edge will be top.  I do like it just as it is.





Here is my Lenton Rose that shows some promise of blooming.  I think I might see some growth on another plant.  We got over an inch of rain so far over several days.  I'll check the rain gauge today since the rain should be ending.


I have only seen a few Robins, no flocks of them in my yard so far.  This poor guy was standing out there in the rain.





I took this photo out of my dining room window while it was raining.  The biggest plant is a Sedum and there are 2 small Lungwort plants to the right of it.  I just saw an ad on the internet for $12.99 per bare root Lungwort plant.  I give away dozens of them every year.  They haven't started to come up yet in the garden farther from the house but when they do there will probably be 30 or more plants.  Then there is another batch that comes up by a Redbud tree at the edge of my lot.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do really like the uneven stripes- so much to look at! Another great design!
Kathy

Julierose said...

The colorwash is so beautiful--it really glows in the center...nice work;))
Those strips look like a lot of work--first in the sewing sets and then to set them up in place--looking really good hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is amazing that the plant you give away a lot of is worth that!

patty a. said...

Both quilt tops are looking great! Did you cut off the leaves on the Lenten Rose or did something eat them? I have never cut mine back, but I will remove the older leaves from the previous year if they get to ratty looking. I am glad you have a bloom! Something got into my fenced cora bell bed and chewed the heck out of all of them including the ones you sent me. I am hoping they will make a comeback.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love watching the plants emerge in the spring ... our second wave of daffodils are about to bloom and the garden centers are starting to have flats of annuals (still a bit too early for actual planting but reassuring nonetheless).

JJM said...

Good progress report on both quilts. And in your gardens as well. I’ve never seen a Robbin just sitting in the rain. He must have felt he needed a shower.


JJM

Anne Ibach said...

I just love that scrappy stripped quilt. You have me looking at my thin strip scraps differently.

Needled Mom said...

I think it looks great as is, but I’ll be interested to read what you decide. Looks like spring is making a solid appearance. Our orioles were really late in returning this year. We saw our first one just yesterday - 2-3 weeks later than normal.

Linda Swanekamp said...

My ground looks pretty similar. Supposed to snow on Sunday. Yikes. The Hellebores have buds. They are tough. Love the top quilt- right up my alley.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I really like the strip quilt too. I have a Lungwort in a planter that we put on the step the past couple of years. This winter and last we brought it into our garage, not heated with no windows, just so it would survive the winter. It gets -40 here. This plant gets a tiny bit of water once a month.Anyway, for the past two springs, the silly thing starts growing in January, in the dark, and then blooming, bright and colorful... in the dark. By the time it is warm enough to put it outside, it is done blooming. Crazy or what?

Vicki W said...

Live the strippy quilt! We had a huge flock of robins in our yard yesterday. At one point I looked out and they were all frozen. Not one bird moved for several minutes. We didn't see one but we concluded that there must have been a hawk in the area.