Monday, March 7, 2022

33 blocks...........


In the early afternoon yesterday I cut the stratas into pieces to make 21 more spring pastel 16 patch blocks.

I was expecting company in the middle of the afternoon so I didn't get any sewing done until evening.


My little great-grandchildren and their mom and dad and grandpa (my son) were going to come over.  I decided it was time to pass my Cabbage Patch doll on to my little 2 1/2 year old great-granddaughter.  In the early 1980s some friends and I made Cabbage Patch clothes to sell in my quilt shop.  We needed to have models to try the clothes on so I bought this regular size one and a preemie size. I gave the preemie doll to my granddaughter when she was 1 and she loved that doll.  Her little girl loves it too so now she has the big sister doll.  Mary (in CA) you might recognize the quilt as a piece you left with me when you moved.  I finished to go with the doll.


I sewed all of the new blocks and put one from each pair up on the design wall.  I moved the darkest ones all together so I can see the contrast and decide if they will be used.  I cut some more strips last night and started sewing more stratas.  I think I will go for the 80 blocks (64" x 80").   That is my go to size for throw quilts.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely blocks...I'll bet she loved the Cabbage
patch dolly;)))
hugs on a sunny, warm (50 degrees!) day Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

The Cabbage Patch dolls were the last ones made in the USA. They were made in NYS and lifted the Amsterdam, NY economy in the height of the crazy demand. I can't imagine if we could have our manufacturing back how it would help our country. I have not seen one in years- the quilts work great!

Anonymous said...

Wanda, I remember those flannel blocks! So glad they will help keep the Cabbage Patch dolly warm. Lovely that she willll have a little girl to hug her!

Mary G in CA

Mary said...

Your great-granddaughter will love her new doll!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I remember when those dolls were all the rage and my daughters hated them!! One of their grandmas had wanted to buy them each one and they said no thank you - grandma was so disappointed

Needled Mom said...

You still got so much sewing in after entertaining! Well done. I loved sewing the Cabbage Patch doll clothes. I’m sure she will be a well loved doll.

patty a. said...

My baby sister who is now 55 received several Cabbage Patch dolls and she still has them. I am sure your great granddaughter will love the doll. The spring 16 patch quilt blocks are very pretty!

JJM said...

Lots of patch’s today, from spring time patches to miss cabbage patch doll. Enjoyed your post today.

JJM

Nann said...

I remember the Christmas that Cabbage Patch dolls were All The Rage. If you need a conversation-starter, ask a group of women what they remember about the craze. They'll either be the moms who drove far and wide to score one [no e-commerce back then!] or the daughters who remember their doll's "unique" name.

Michele said...

How special that you were able to gift your grandaughter and great-grandaughter each a cabbage patch doll AND that they love them. My mom made and sold cabbage patch look-alike dolls back then and I still have one she made for me. Sadly, neither of my grandaughters likes to play with dolls..