Friday, September 1, 2023

August 2023 Monthly recap............





In some summers I spend more time gardening but as I get older, and perennials really do take care of themselves, I have gotten more quilting done this year.  I'm still up to date on 2 finishes a month so this is numbers 15 and 16.

The Australian Hole in the Barn Door/Churn Dash top was made in March this year.  After quilting it is 54" x 80.5".  The Pastel Diamonds top was made in May this year.  After quilting it is 48" x 72".


The I Spy #1 quilt top is number 20 this year.  I'm getting closer to even amounts of starts and finishes.  I have a lot of batting pieces cut to size and backings chosen so maybe I can quilt more than 2 in September.  This quilt top measures 65.5" x 82".  I'm planning on making 2 more I Spy quilts and would like all 3 quilted by the end of the year.


I haven't made a positive identification of this plant but 2 suggestions are Gaillardia/Blanket Flower and Gloriosa Daisy in the Rudbeckia family.  I looked up both of them on the internet and they both look like this.


I am enjoying the blooms.  Both of the ones I looked up said it may or may not survive over the winter planted in the ground, that it is a fussy plant and to not be surprised if it didn't come up.  I have a friend coming over to dig some plants this month so I may place it in one of the empty spots and see what happens.

Yesterday was my second great-grandson's 7th birthday and my pacemaker's 6th birthday.  It's a good thing they had his first birthday party the previous Saturday.

We only had 2" of rain the whole month of August so the grass is not as green as it was in July and the first half of August.  We finally got out of the drought area and are classified as abnormally dry.  I hope we get a lot of rain this month because we are still at a deficit for the whole year.  Our trees and bushes need it.

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is amazing how many quilts you start and finish each month you make so many. Yes as we grow older we need to let our gardens take care of themselves - it was harder this year to care for mine for sure. We are still dry but not in a drought but I think very close to it

Patty said...

Congratulations on keeping up with your goal of two finishes a month. The dew here has been so heavy that the grass is green and growing like crazy.

Nann said...

I've admired each of these as they have developed. The gallery is a wonderful display. Splendid late-August flowers.

Barbara Anne said...

Well done in finishing two quilts and getting the new I Spy quilt top finished, too. I aspire to follow your stellar example!

Think we'll follow your example in planting perennials, too.

Hugs!

Cathy said...

You had a great August with your beautiful quilt finishes! I don’t think there’s ever been a quilt you made that I didn’t love! And here’s to more rain for you in September. We’ve been told to expect a soggy Labor Day weekend here in Salt Lake, and it’s already cloudy and breezy.

Mary said...

I am so proud of you for keeping up with your goal. We've had no relief in our drought situation, but at least the mornings are a little cooler. Today's forecast high is 101.

JJM said...

Two intriguing quits made it to the finish line. Enjoyed your creative patterns of each. And fabrics as always make each one a grand show.

And every time I see your Novelty print top it amazes me as to what I see. Just love it ❣️

Your blossoms are brilliant gorgeous colors. Hope they do return… your care for your gardens ~ tells me they will come back next year.

JJM

pbj fiber marietta said...

Hi Wanda! I love your diamond quilt, great range of colors. I just found that I have a die for the half rectangle and now I see what to do with it! Thanks for all your inspiration....EVERY DAY!

Chookyblue...... said...

beautiful quilts.......

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh, good for you meeting your monthly goal. Three more beautiful quilts. The plants have very furry leaves and I think I've seen similar one in the garden centre, the striking colour of these is amazing.