Sunday, September 3, 2023

Cutting little squares............


Yesterday morning my granddaughter and my youngest great-grandson came over to see me.  He is 14 months old and such a happy baby.

After lunch I drove to the next town north of me to see my grandson's house.  He is a first time home owner and just signed the papers yesterday.  I got the grand tour of the house and the big yard and extra garage.

Last evening I tackled the box I showed a couple weeks ago that had the leftovers from several Trip Around the World quilts.  There were 3 strips of end cuts from a Kaffe Fassett fabric quilt.


The 2 dies I pulled out were 1.5" squares and 2" squares.


The pieces in those strips above were large enough to cut 2" squares.  Using my Accuquilt Studio dies I can cut 10 pieces at a time.









There was a stack of batik pieces left from another quilt that were large enough to cut 1.5" squares.  Since there were 6 squares on the die I could cut 2 stacks of 10 at the same time.  I will use some of these pieces for a mini colorwash.






In the mid 1990s, before we had cameras and big screens on our cellphones, we sewed scraps of the sequence of colors onto a piece of paper and numbered them.  At the last few classes I taught we just took a photo of the sequence to refer back to.  This little pile holds a lot of memories.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

So nice to be able to use cut offs to make new shapes isn't it? The die cutters make easy work of it;)))

Temps on the rise here--in the 60's still overnight and 64 this morning with 63 dewpoint--I can see humidity coming our way for this upcoming week...
Enjoy the rest of this lovely weekend...

Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice for you to get out and visit your grandson and get the tour and for your granddaughter to come visit as well.
I have a die that cuts 9 -1.5 inch square and another that cuts 4-2.5 I think - what do you use to make your lines on your dies? I use a sharpie I think and I keep getting blue marks on my fingernails from it I have noticed - not on the finger but just on my fingers. I was thinking I might need something else in the future

JJM said...

I sure can see how your die cutters save so much cutting time. And to cut 10 layers at a time is awesome to me. As I know nothing about die cutters. Your fabrics shown from the 1990’s shows a wonderful technique for back in the day.

Spending time with family is always a bonus these days when our children are so busy. Congratulations to your grandson with his new house.


JJM

Barbara Anne said...

How wonderful to have your granddaughter and happy GGS visit and then to tour your grandson's first home! Congrats to him on home ownership!!!

I look forward to seeing how you'll use these small squares you've cut.

Today and the coming weekdays will be hot with highs in the mid-upper 90s*F each day and no likelihood of rain until Friday.

Hugs!

Random said...

Thanks for creating this blog and helping others to learn

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank goodness for the Accuquilt cutters - a true time saver and saves the sore hands from cutting around templates. Sounds like you had a really good family day.