Wednesday, September 27, 2023

3 binding options...............

The search was on.  I knew there some fairly solid looking dotty fabrics from the very early designs by Kaffe, you know, the ones selling for $60 or more a yard to people who didn't know who Kaffe was until a few years ago and are beefing up their collection.  

This purple background dotty has colors that are in the stripes and shot cottons.


This blue one is even more solid looking with dots that don't have a high contrast.  It is called Freckles.





This red one is also called Freckles and I have the least amount of it but I do have enough to cut for binding.





All three look great with the backing fabric so it is just a decision which one.  I have the most of the purple so it would make sense to use it and still have some of the other 2 for other projects.  I thought in the beginning that I wanted red; I'm not sure now.  I'll give it a day of thinking and then decide.


Last night I sewed the last 6 duplicate blocks of the African and mottled batik 16 patch blocks.  That gives me 67 pieced blocks and 20 of the lime batik, 87 total.  I originally planned and 8 x 10 quilt, 80 blocks, 64" x 80".  If I go 9 x 11 I would have to make 12 more blocks and would end up with another quite large quilt at 72" x 99".  More decisions, more contemplating time.


I went to the grocery store early last evening and this was my odometer reading when I pulled into my parking place, 73,000.

It turned 72,000 on 2/6/22, almost 20 months ago. 1000 divided by 20 is 50 miles a month.  The grocery store and post office are 7 blocks from my house and the pharmacy 1 mile away.  W-mart is 3 miles and the gas station 4 miles.  The garden center I go to is probably at least 5 miles away. There isn't much else I need to go to and with all of the distracted drivers crossing the center line, I'm happy to have my van in the garage.  Less driving, more time playing with fabric and gardening.

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is good that a good chunk of your income doesn't go to gas - we do more driving than you do but we live in the country and family is a distance to drive to. We don't take as many traveling vacations as we used to though anymore and hope the car we got last year will be the last new one to get as we still have an older honda as well.
I like the red for the binding but unless you really see them in person you don't know for sure which would be best.

JJM said...

What a fun post today, auditioning your bindings and I agree all would work beautifully . Anxious to see the winner.

Your 16 patch blocks ready and waiting to join the rest …..

JJM

Patty said...

Any of those fabrics would work for the binding. The blocks are so cool!

Anonymous said...

i vote red binding

Nann said...

I like the red. I'd go with the smaller number of blocks. I understand about not driving much these days.

Jan Ross said...

Oh goodie we get to vote on your binding - I choose the red also, but then, all your choices will work. You did a killer backing!