Sunday, September 17, 2023

Flying Geese are sewn on............


I finally took the pieces off the design wall and got it all sewn together.  The geese border fit perfectly with the half goose beginning the border both top and bottom.  I like it just as it is and could just quilt and bind it but it is only 40" x 56" so I need to keep adding to it.  It would only work as a wallhanging right now.



While the iron was hot I pressed the newest batch of strip piecing for the other African fabric quilt.  I got them all cut and sewed one of each combination.  Now I have 34 duplicate blocks to sew.












I intended to look through my African fabrics for a large print for possible alternate blocks to add to the 16 patch quilt.  Instead I looked through some batiks.  I have had this one for a long time and I love it.








I decided to lay some of the 16 patch blocks on it to see if it would work.  I have a yard so I would have enough to cut 20 blocks.







I have had this batik hanging over the back of my sewing chair for a few months.  It looks too dark with the assortment of blocks I auditioned with it but might look okay with the whole assortment.  Today I will look through the African fabrics.  Here is the last African 16 patch top that I made with alternate blocks inserted.


The Zinfin Doll hydrangea has turned a dark raspberry color now.  I looked back in my photos to see how it looked last year.  There were about half of the flowers this color and half that were still medium pink and raspberry mix.  There are a lot more blooms this year.

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the elephant quilt sure is quite colorful! looks good

Anonymous said...

The oak leaf batik is wonderful, so evocative of fall.

Ceci

Quiltdivajulie said...

Of the two batiks with the sixteen patch blocks, I MUCH prefer the first one (limey green). Perhaps you could use that darker batik as an anchor fabric for another of your autumn toned quilts?

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, that green batik is amazing with your blocks!

JJM said...

Super Sunday ! Photos show to see the fun you are having. Took me awhile to get to the comments today with so much to see. Just a grand array you shared today.

JJM

Julierose said...

Flying geese look lovely as a border. And that long time fabric you've had works so well for alternate blocks, too.
Beautiful day today--74 only & 62 DP--we went for a stroll by the CT Rive
on the boardwalk this morning..so great...
Hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

The elephant quilt looks perfectly wonderful with the flying geese added!! Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

I, too, love the green batik for your alternate blocks in the 16 patch quilt. Might your 1 yard be enough if you scatter those squares here and there as you did in your 2020 16 patch quilt?

We seen to be losing one of our lemonade hydrangeas for some unknown reason.

Hugs!

Patty said...

That’s great the wild geese strips fit perfectly. I like the darker tone But not the print. The oak leaves just don’t seem to go with the African prints. I’m sure it looks different in person and you will know what looks right to your eye.

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness...I just love that crazy quilt with elephants. I could stare at that one all day. I would be lovely to cozy up under it with a cup of cocoa on a cold winter day and just read the quilt instead of a book!

I'm a fan of the limey green with the 16 patches.

Anonymous said...

I am an absolute admirer of your African elephant quilt. Stunning! And I love the lime leafy batik fabric that you auditioned with your 16 patches. Very cool!