Tuesday, September 5, 2023

More strips and more..............







There are 6 more pairs of strips in this photo (added to yesterday's 12 pairs) and some more of the mottled strips waiting for a partner.  I'm up to 18 pairs, 36 blocks.  There are 11 more mottled strips.  I have decided to make 2 quilts so there will be 2 blocks alike from each pair of strips and the duplicate strips will go in the other quilt.  Here is another African fabric 16 patch quilt top I made in 2020.  I used Kona cotton solids in it and had some blocks of a large print in it.


While I'm cutting strips I'm also cutting large flying geese blocks (3" x 6").  I made some blocks a few years ago so I'm searching for those to add to these.





Back in 2020 I made this quilt top and now I'm working on some ideas to make it into a larger quilt.  The flying geese are one of the ideas for borders across the top and bottom to make it into a rectangle.  I have some strip piecing left over from another quilt I started planning but never made so I'll be playing with pieces and parts on the design wall until it all falls together.

We're back in the 90s for 3 days and then high 70s for the rest of the week.  This is pretty typical weather here as the kids are in their first 2 weeks of school.  The Sandwich Fair (DeKalb county fair) starts on Wednesday and continues through Sunday, the last, biggest, and cleanest county fair of the year in Illinois. 

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Those flying geese blocks will make a lovely addition to your Elephant piece!! Great array of colors in that one!!
71 here already at 8 am with 69 DP--temps predicted to climb up into the high 80's-maybe 90!! It always seems to get hotter the first couple weeks of back-to-school here, too...Stay cool hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

The Flying Geese will be a great addition. They have lots of interest. High 80s here and oh so humid. I watered real early so I don't wilt later.

Helenchaffin said...

beautiful prints! looking forward to seeing it all come together

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

flying geese would look good around the elephant piece. We finally had a little bit of rain yesterday but sure could use more.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The flying geese are going to really add to the elephant medallion piece - I like that you are going to enlarge it!

JJM said...

OMG your ‘Crazy quilt with Elephants’ is so fun and festive. The elephant print framed with your crazy pieced blocks is truly amazing one of a kind. So looking forward to the border you are adding.

Growing up in Sandwich ~ The Fair was always the highlight of the year and happy memories still fill my heart every at Sandwich Fair time. Tomorrow a dedication is planned for my brother in law, who just passed way. He was in charge of All the power on those 185 acres for over 30 years. And the Fair was his passion.

JJM

Nann said...

The scrappy flying geese will add a bit of control to the crazy-pieced blocks--but not too much control. The effect will be super. And thanks for the ideas for using those Australian -print scraps. I've got a shoebox of them and they keep muttering "when are you going to use us?"

Anonymous said...

Will be in Mendota to see sibs. Planning to take in the fair on Sunday. Thanks for all the great blog photos and content!!!

Barbara Anne said...

Well done in making such a good start on the next 16 patch African fabric quilt!

Love the jazzy quilt top with the elephant batik (?) in the center. I'd suggest you audition some fairly calm tone on tone fabrics for the first added border so that new border doesn't get lost before you add the Flying Geese or whatever you choose for that 2nd added border. I'll send you a photo of Purple Haze and the borders I made for it for you to use as food for thought.

Hugs!

Kristin said...

I love what you're doing with the elephant batik panel quilt! Love the crazy pieced blocks.

Danice G said...

Oh I love those fabrics. They appear to be maybe African (?). Beautiful, and your quilt is going to be as well.