Friday, April 8, 2022

From the 90s archive........


This piece is so old it isn't even on my list as a top to finish into a quilt.  While cleaning off a table I came across it with 2 pieces of batting which I was going to sew together.  It is too long for its width so I found a fabric to add 2" borders and another fabric which is in the top to use for backing.  The dark fabrics aren't really as dark as they look in this photo.  I forgot to turn on my auxiliary lights.  I have a blog post about this top in August 2008.  It also shows a wallhanging I made from the scraps which also isn't finished.  It needs the beading finished on it.


Here is a closer shot of the border and backing fabrics.

I'm only planning on borders on the 2 sides to make the proportion better.








And a close up of some of the fabrics used in this old project.

I did pick out the piece that was turned wrong on my half rectangle triangle quilt from yesterday and sewed it in correctly.

Now back to finish cleaning off the table I found this on.  I'm making progress.  This is the table I need to cut my black and white batiks on so I really need it totally cleaned off.

 

10 comments:

Mari said...

An oldie but a goodie! I wonder what else you;ll find on that table? :)

Julierose said...

Love those older LV fabrics a lot--wonderful movement down into darks..nice work hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

Both this piece and the wall hanging are beautiful pieces. I am always surprised by how prolific a quilter and a blogger you are.

Roxanne said...

Both are still cool projects. In the photos from your 2008 blog post I see a ship with masts on a calm sea with blue sky and clouds. :)

JJM said...

I see a tremendous amount of hours put into this piece…….. Your borders will polish this off to a nice finish, and you’ll no doubt feel good to complete this lost piece of art.

JJM

patty a. said...

That was an excellent idea to just add borders on the two sides to make the quilt proportions better. Now since the top is completed, it will have to go on the list of tops that need quilted.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I would love to see a darker border to show off all those wonderful light pieces, but that's just me. Whatever you do will be great.

Marnie Haines said...

Wanda,
This is another stunning creation that you have made. Looking at the 2008 original, does it truly need a border? The quilt alone generates a soaring quality maybe due to its narrowness. Just wondering. Whatever you do, will inspire the rest of us. Marnie

Charlotta said...

You say you aren’t planning on finishing the top, but then proceed to explain how you are planning to finish it? Sounds like you really will finish it. And why not?

Mystic Quilter said...

Now I no longer have the guilt hanging over me over quilt tops stored away for up to 8 years!! Hope you finish this one up Wanda.