Friday, August 22, 2008

Something old, nothing new

In 1991 (yes, 17 years ago) 2 friends and I got together and each strip pieced 2 big pieces (6 total) and then we cut segments out of them at a slight angle. Some were angled to the left and some to the right. Then our plan was we each took segments from all of the groups and sewed together backgrounds. Our plans were to applique on them, maybe more of a collage type project. I sewed my background together but since they both moved away after that I'm not sure if they sewed theirs. This has been sitting in the UFO box for 17 years. However there were wedge leftovers because of the way we cut the strip sets. Neither of them wanted those pieces so I took them, and I did make a wallhanging out of them. It isn't finished though. At the time I was influenced by 2 people who did beading.
The first thing I did was stitch in the ditch with clear monofilament thread on top and bobbin thread that matched the backing. This way I knew from the back where the areas of color were and stitched from the wrong side with heavy glitz thread in the bobbin case in several different patterns and different colors.
Then I decided to start beading. That may have been a mistake because I have never gone back to finish it. I have dark beads on this color section and......
light colored beads on the light background sections.
This is another case of the leftovers being more inspiring than the original plan. Someday I hope I have the urge to finish the beading, but it may just be an interesting item at my estate sale when I am gone.

12 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

What a fabulous leftovers project. Maybe you could bring some beads to leave by your TV watching chair, and work away in the evenings? This is too lovely to leave unfinished! Of course, you do have other projects to work on. ;)

dutchcomfort said...

I’m glad you took the angled pieced quilt out of the UFO box. What a wonderful project!

Anonymous said...

Top piece reminds me of a dancing water display.

The 'wedges' look like braided ribbons on top your light fabric background.

Both pieces fun to look at.

J~MT

p.s. we did get snow on our mountain tops yesterday.

Lucie said...

This quilt piece looks so fresh in the design you choose. Glad you rescued it from the ufos.

Pattie said...

You amaze me, Wanda. If I'd created that piece, I'd be showing it off to any one who'd look at it! Wow!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I agree. The beading adds interest and texture to these 'leftovers' but that 'original plan' might work itself into something too... knowing your creative spirit, it will be interesting to see what comes next!

Vicki W said...

You have the best "leftovers"! I really like that top piece. There's a lot of quilting opportunity on that one.

meggie said...

More interesting pieces from you. I have missed your posts, so I am catching up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,
The first piece is very Impressionistic.
You could leave it as is, give it an arty-sounding name (for example, "Floral Arrangement at Poolside"), and sell it as art! I bet it would look nice on someone's wall.

Vicky F

StitchinByTheLake said...

Wanda I have something similar that's still in strips! I'm going to remember yours and drag that stuff out....soon. blessings, marlene

Diane said...

I like the second piece because the pattern is more controlled. It lookd like a folded ribbon with transparency and iridescence that add even more depth. Wasn't it you who told me that beading only shows when you're close to the piece? The amount of beading I'd add would depend upon how the piece was going to be used or where it would ne hung. It's definitely worth finishing!

Purple Pam said...

I agree that sometimes the left over pieces/scraps are more fun to work with than the original piece. I recognize some fabrics in your pieces that I still have not used in my stash.