Monday, August 4, 2008

Pieces and Parts box, day 11

My company just left for Michigan to visit my SIL's brother. We had a great time because they are easy company and they feel really comfortable here. With my parents being so elderly, I always wonder if it will be the last time the whole family will be together.

The next pictures are from the really old leftovers box. This one was made in the 1976 time period with fabrics from the 60's and 70's in it. It isn't attractive at all and I keep it because of the older fabrics and a reminder of the revival of quilting.
I found a pattern for pieced zebras and made 2 of them.
I think the pieced scissors pattern might have been in an old Quilter's Newsletter magazine.
I did a lot of bargello in the mid to late 1980's and this was a leftover from a vest I made. The hearts looked interesting so I made 2 blocks to try them out.
When I was out in the garden the other day I took a picture of one of the coral bells that have really dainty white flowers. They were just starting to bloom.
We had a beautiful weather day yesterday, lower humidity and temperatures. We turned off the A/C and opened the windows. This morning there are some storms rumbling through the area. My brother timed their departure between the 2 groups and they will travelling ahead of the second batch. We haven't had any rain yet, just dark at times and some rumbling of thunder.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recognize the style of some of your 70's fabrics in your first block. I had similar colors, and got them at JC Penney's fabric department when that was the only place (I knew of) who sold calicos. The fabrics were stiff even after washing, and likely half polyester. Long live polyester!
Vicky F

Anonymous said...

What fun going back in time with your patchwork. I too have some of those same small print fabrics that I have not given away yet. Also I remember our Penny's store being the only 'game' in town 43 years ago. And now we have several shops that cater to the quilters. Sandwich had the dime store for our local fabric needs when I was growing up and remember how they tore all those cotton fabrics, instead of cutting? And would always give a couple plus inches more than needed. Oh ~ ~ ~ those were the good ole days for sure.

J~MT

meggie said...

It is fun to see those old fabrics. Some of them seem unattractive by today's standards, but it is very interesting to see how styles have changed.

TB said...

Takes me back to first and second grades at the Mennonite school where we would sing White Coral Bells in a "round". I'm not sure that I've seen them until this photo of yours! They're so dainty.