Tuesday, August 12, 2008

No Planning

When I am making one of my art pieces I don't do much planning ahead. I just barge in and start putting parts up on the design wall, and as I place them more ideas pop into my head. Yesterday I pressed this piece and it was laying across my ironing board. When I went down to the basement my eye travelled from the ironing board to the cutting table where this zebra print was laying. I looked back and forth between the 2 and said maybe........... so I cut a couple strips and put them on the top and bottom. Already I like the black and whites within the piece better. I decided I should try side borders too but not the same width.
I will try a couple other black and white prints now, maybe even the one that I used several times in the blocks.

I enjoyed all of the comments 2 days ago about volunteer flowers coming up in unusual places. They are one of the bonuses in life if we are looking.

13 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

That black and white in the border ends up looking gray, while the ones in the quilt pop. Neat as the zebra fabric is, it doesn't do justice to your quilt.

Vicki W said...

I love the effect of black and white in the border but I agree with Cheri, it does project mostly gray. Of course, you didn't ask so you can just ignore my comment!

Sue Krekorian said...

When I saw your previous post, I was thinking maybe a border of mixed black and white prints would look good, maybe even with the odd small injection of colour here and there, so clearly great minds and all that!

Anonymous said...

I think the zebra border is "just right".
I didn't even notice the black and white in the quilt until you put the zebra border on it.
Everything doesn't need to be so bold and graphic.
It brings out the best of the quilt.
And the uneven border is just what it needs. KS

Jan said...

I love the zebra print, Wanda. A bolder print would fight with the lovely center area. I think it's the perfect border choice!

em's scrapbag said...

OOOOO! I like it! The black and white just set it off. Good work!

Anonymous said...

Great idea to use a black & white border. I instantly saw the connection.. like all the color was laid over the black & whites.

I have nasturiums that are the backbone of the volunteer brigade.

Lyn

Elsie Montgomery said...

These borders make the middle pop, which is what a "gray" can often do. A bolder b&w might compete. Only the design wall knows for sure!

Looking forward to the next photo!

Cathi said...

I quite like the zebra print -- it's a nice frame to the colours of the centre and really makes them stand out.

Gene Black said...

I don't love the zebra print with it. I would try repeating the black/white that is on the larger block on the right of this picture. it wouldn't look as "gray" as the zebra print.

But then again, depending on where this is going, I think a cheery yellow would pop with the small bits of yellow that are already in the top.

TB said...

I've always liked the combination of color with well-placed b&w. This one is pleasing.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading all the comments above. And you didn't even ask for opinions. (*._,*) Really an interesting take on what Gene just suggested. Kind of like it.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

The zebra print from afar looks gray, but once you click on the photograph to enlarge, it looks great.
Gives me the feeling of light coming from apartment windows in the night. Warm and cozy.
Vicky F