Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The dentist office waiting room

In 1996 I needed some dental work done and I didn't have the money to pay for it. The dentists in this office were just getting ready to redecorate and they knew I made wall art. We came to an agreement and I made this large piece which I traded for the dental care I needed. They also purchased this smaller piece. All of the years I was making the colorwash pieces I kept calling them dentist office pieces because I thought they would calm a viewer. I never dreamed that they would actually become dentist office art.
I love my dentist so much (she's good!) that I gave her this I Spy quilt for the children's area. While I was sitting there chatting with another lady she was telling me how much she enjoyed this one, so I guess it isn't just for the children.
My large hostas are blooming now. They have sweet smelling lily-like flowers.
This one on the north side of the house is more upright where they usually are more horizontal like the previous picture.
It was only in the 50's overnight, great sleeping weather. I know we will get one more blast of hot and humid weather yet but I'm enjoying these cool low humidity days until it gets here.

Thanks again for all of you that comment on my blog. Lots of you are no reply bloggers which means you don't have a Google account, or your email isn't on your profile page. I can't thank you personally because I have no way of contacting you but I do enjoy and appreciate your comments.

18 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love my dentist, too. He's a dear friend. I wish I could give him something like that (yours are beautiful!) but his wife decorated his office and it's posh. You know what I mean? Not quilt friendly! blessings, marlene

Three Birds Inspired said...

How clever to barter your creative pieces for dental work! I have never seen that kind of blossom on a hosta. Really beautiful and I bet it smells wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda, My Hosta's are blooming too!Beautiful!
Thank you,thank you!jmh

Vicki W said...

Those pieces would sure make a dentist visit much more pleasant!

The Calico Cat said...

I love your I SPY - especially the way it has the "toothy grin" fabric!

jovaliquilts said...

What a wonderful story! I think we often feel alienated by medial/dental care these days, and your barter just humanizes the whole process. It's great to give what you are good at and get what you need. Those quilts are much nicer than the TVs that blare in so many offices.

Joyce said...

Your dentist office is decorated much nicer than mine! I have to go there soon as I just lost a filling, or maybe part of a tooth by the look of the piece. I'd rather be quilting!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Great idea. The biggest problem I would have with being in your dentist's office would be patience. I'd want to get out of there and go home to my sewing machine. LOL.

My hostas are done blooming, at least most of them are. We have fall weather here with cooler nights, but as you say, great for sleeping.

Lovely closeups - make those small hosta flowers really show off well!

Quiltdivajulie said...

How marvelous ~ for you, for the dentist, and for the other patients ~ I would LOVE to gaze at a quilt while I was at my dentist's office!!

Hasn't cooled off quite that much here ~ still in the 70's overnight and extremely humid (smoggy). Fay's rain helped some, but it's still steamy...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful works of art.

Pattie said...

I'll second what Holly said: your quilts are works of art.

And how cool that you've kept the barter system alive. Think of all we could do in this world if we could exchange goods and services instead of money!

Oh wait – I might starve! LOL!

meggie said...

I certainly would have enjoyed having quilts to look at at some of my dentist's offices.
Usually there is a television, tuned to some hideous programme that I cant escape!
My Hostas never seem to get to flower.

Betty J in OKC said...

I *LOVE* your I-Spy too. I've got lots and lots of pre-cut 6 1/2" squares. My e-mail is: O2bquiltn2 at yahoo dot com. I don't use my blog very often. (ahem) Call me a novice-blogger. LOL!

jacquie said...

those quilts in the dentist's office are stunning...wow!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the hosta is in the lily family. They do seem to be planted mostly for their foliage, as some of the blooms are rather puny, but those in your photos are spectacular!
For years my dentist had the same things "decorating" his walls. He really could have used something wonderful like one of your quilts!

Anonymous said...

I think your dentist got the better deal.. I work at my dad's dental office and I have about 5 or 6 quilts that I have made on the walls... But, they are not as beautiful as yours.. what a neat technique..

Michael5000 said...

Great story! And the colourwash is an especially nice one....

Jamar Schaffer said...

Wow, you did a great job at the clinic’s waiting room! I think it’s so great that you and your dentist could come to this sort of arrangement. It goes to show that for a lot of dentists, it’s not so much about the money as it is the opportunity to help people. I hope your relationship with your dentist has continued to be very good!