Thursday, August 7, 2008

Something old, something new

While I was cleaning I found this little bookmark I made when I was in my early teens. My grandma had taught me how to hand embroider on pillowcases and now I wanted to just do my own thing. I took a piece of grosgrain ribbon and did my sloppy version of satin stitch embroidery, not knowing the correct way to do it. When I finished both sides I placed them back to back and did a whip stitch all around the bookmark. This was probably the first Wanda Original.
I LOVE Hoffman batiks. They are silkier than all of the other brands and I really like the patterns they come up with. Batiks Plus carries only Hoffman brand batiks. They sell 40" yards at a price equal to or lower than most quilt shops (which sell 36" yards).

They also send you free fat quarter gifts with your order. AND I ordered on Tuesday and got my package on Wednesday. I would call that great service.

The week before that I received my package of some new Kaffe Fassett fabrics from "From Here to Quilternity". Her price is the best I have found and these fabrics aren't carried in my local quilt shops.


Now I just need to start cutting and sewing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just drooling over your new fabrics. I don't need to buy anymore, but, when I see your collection I get the urge.I will just have to control my urge(and drool) for now.
Louise

jovaliquilts said...

Such gorgeous fabrics, and thanks so much for the links! My LQS doesn't carry Kaffe Fassett either, and it has a limited range of batiks.

That bookmark is a treasure -- I have a few things I made as a child and as silly as they are, I am so glad to have them. I just saw on one blog that there's a bookmark swap in progress. You might come up with something a little different now!

Marilyn said...

Your bookmark is sweet. Your grandmother must have been proud of you. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH! Those fabrics! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

WOW - next day service - Thanks for sharing those BEAUTIFUL new fabrics... I'm avoiding the online opportunites for now - but only because I'm saving up for my trip to Nashville later in the month (two large stores - one in Goodlettsville and one in Franklin). Still working away on my flying monkeys - determined to get it done before I go!

meggie said...

Drooling over those gorgeous fabrics. Will be intriguing to see how you use them.

Cathi said...

Those are gorgeous fabrics -- have you got plans for them?? :-)
How fabulous you still have that bookmark.

TB said...

The bookmark is so DEAR!

Lynda said...

40" yards are actually metres - well, a metre measures 39.37" so is near as anything. Love the Kaffe Fassett fabrics and can't wait to see what you make from them.

imquilternity said...

Wanda,

THANKS so much for mentioning me on your blog (and providing a link to my shop). You are a treasure...the kind of wonderful customer all shop owners love to have.

Take care,
Terri

Anonymous said...

Love those fabrics ~ always a treat to live with you via your blog. You do our shopping for us.

Thanks, J~MT