Saturday, August 16, 2008

Finished!

The borders are on! I originally planned to make this piece small, the second in the series. It ended up 31" x 33.5". The main reason was to decide how I wanted to quilt it so I would have ideas for the larger first piece (my current favorite at the top right on my blog). Even after 51years of machine quilting, I still just KNOW that I will ruin it with the quilting.

I am going to use the idea in my second picture yesterday for the next larger piece. Thanks everyone for your votes and the reasons behind them. I enjoyed every single comment.

Remember when I showed the batik basket blocks and didn't know where I had gotten the name Cake Stand for my samples? I finally found it while moving a stack of books (and having to peek through them while doing it). This is the book......

and here is the reference to the name.
I'm helping out at a store again today so no sewing until tonight.

12 comments:

Nancy said...

The finished top looks gorgeous, as usual. Looking forward to the pieced border for the original top. Your blog is a joy.

Anonymous said...

You made the right choice -- for my taste. I've been watching the selection process unfold, but hadn't weighed in on it. The fact that the inner border makes what you've called those "holes" where the black-and-whites in the quilt show up is a nice touch.

jacquie said...

nice choice wanda! so what do you mean you're going to ruin it? help me understand.

Cathi said...

I love the effect you're getting by using the two borders. This is really fabulous -- again! :-)

Anonymous said...

WOW ! finished and pressed.... very nice. It was great fun to be included in your decision making.

J~MT

Joyce said...

It looks wonderful. I too worry about ruining things with the quilting, probably because I've done it so often. I find that the better I like a top the better the chances are of spoiling it during quilting.

Vicki W said...

I like that a lot!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Really good choices on the borders! blessings, marlene

TB said...

Oh, I like the final version of the quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

ohhhh, I have that book!

Love the way you bordered the quilt ~ so comforting to hear you way that you worry about 'ruining it' ~ breathe deeply, it will be wonderful when you finish. Can't wait to see what you audition for the binding!

Gene Black said...

Ha, I feel better knowing that a long time quilter has that same feeling. I hate doing the quilting because I am just sure I will ruin it. Maybe now I will be able to say - oh relax, that is just "the critic" (left brain) talking.

Elaine Adair said...

I couldn't wait to see the end project and as expected, WOW! It's beautiful, and I appreciate the part about wanting the border to not be too pronounced.

I thought EVERYONE saw the 'holes', but apparently not. Good thing we have friends!