Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ripping good time...

This is how I spent the afternoon yesterday, having a ripping good time while talking to friends. I decided the first border wasn't wide enough to really give the "hole" appearance that I had when I showed it with the wider border. I have 2 more borders to rip and then I can cut new ones. Below is one of the little critters that fly through my yard. I thought is was a cicada killer but found out now it is a dragonfly. I know my flowers, not the bugs.
They are predicting some much needed rain later today and maybe tomorrow. Our grass is turning brown and a lot of the perennials are going into their autumn stage. I think it has been about 2 weeks since we had rain. I remember it rained the day my brother left, Aug. 3rd.

Thank you to all who reminded me about the time delay in picture taking years ago. The picture shown is a school picture, with the teacher in the top row center, sitting down with a book on her lap.

7 comments:

Greenmare said...

hi, this is my first visit and I LOVE your favorite quilt at the top of your blog!!! gorgeous!!

Cathi said...

I would have thought that was an oversized dragonfly or something!
We're having the first stretch of more than 2 days without rain all summer, although they say there's high heat/humidity on its way for the weekend and more storms.

Anonymous said...

Nope, that's a really great photo of a dragon fly. The cicada killer has a shorter body and looks more like a wasp!
T

Anonymous said...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cirrusimage.com/Lynette/cicada_killer_03_med.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cirrusimage.com/hymenoptera_cicada_killer.htm&h=450&w=600&sz=56&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=NmM3rXoToqLYfM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCicada%2Bkiller%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
Here's a link to photos of Cicada killer wasp!

Anonymous said...

I love dragon flys. There are so many varieties that seem to usher in autumn. They visit my garden also.

We too got some rain last night and today, it was heaven, we desperately needed it.... It was in April I think when we got our last rain. Really

J~MT

Cher said...

it's been raining in our neck of the woods as well lately. I have a lot of dragonfly fabric-and butterfly as well-I know many bugs :-) interesting that you decided to rip off your borders and change the look-good for you to invest your time to be happier with the final result. Machine quilting for 51 years? wow!!!

Diane said...

Wanda, That's an exceptional photo of a dragonfly. I'm glad to see you're taking the time to notice little things.