Monday, August 18, 2008

Placemats

I used to give a class on placemats to introduce people to piecing quilt blocks. I always liked the style of this one with a strap for the napkin and a pocket for the silverware. I think I got the idea for it from some picnic placemats that I had seen. You prepare each one with the napkin and silverware and then roll them up to put in the picnic basket.

I'm headed out for a walk this morning. It is time to add exercise to my quest for losing a few pounds. I have that 50th class reunion at the end of next month that I need to feel good at.

10 comments:

Pattie said...

Wanda -

Those are darling, and they look like something even I could handle. ;-)

You've just given me an idea for Christmas gifts!

Hope you had a wonderful walk!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Pattie~

Something I could handle and a great idea for gifting.

Had never seen a pocket for utensils on a placemat.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea. Thanks for sharing.

Cathi said...

These are an absolutely super idea! Definite Christmas gift possibilities!!! Thank you!!

Sunny said...

Those are really neato. What a great idea for practicing blocks. Now I know some of the placemats I am going to work on for my table. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Those are way cool, Wanda.
I can see making a few for myself.
It would be perfect for our quilter's potluck as we provide our own tableware.

Thanks for the brain tickle.
Vicky F

Sharon said...

"Brain-tickle"! That's a great one, Vickie F!
What a great placemat, Wanda! And what super fabric for a placemat! I've made lots of placemats over the years, and it's time to make some more. This one has got me thinking! oooo, could be dangerous!

jovaliquilts said...

Very cute idea -- I once had placemats with pockets that I thought were adorable, but I've never seen the napkin holder idea. I love that red and purple fabric.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love this style too but have never made any. Have you thought about putting a tutorial on how to make them on your blog? I'd love to see it. blessings, marlene

jacquie said...

i've been thinking about doing some placemats for christmas gifts too...this is such a good idea to make them special.