Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Just Playing

I am still totally wiped out from my company and the emotions of seeing them leave. I hadn't seen my brother for 3 years. He is retired now and promises to come back again next year.

I took some triangles and squares that were already cut and laid out the Jacob's Ladder block. This is the one I am going to do next. It has the diagonal row of squares through the block and they are one color going to the right and a different color when it is tipped to the left. The corners form a star when 4 blocks come together.

The alternate piecing would be making star blocks and blocks with the chain of the 2 colors. I haven't decided what fabrics I will use, or even what colors. I just want to continue on with chain quilts like my 2 double 4 patch quilts are.
While looking for the pre-cut triangles and squares I found these already pieced HST blocks. I decided to just plop them up on the design wall. They will come back down today.
To clean off the border pieces of the last quilt from my sewing table , I decided to make a couple crazy log cabin blocks. I pulled a couple strips of orange to work into all the blues and turquoises. The one on the right is for Julie for her Alzheimer's Priority quilts.

I saw a butterfly flying from flower to flower in my back garden. I grabbed my camera and set it for the farthest telephoto setting. Then I sat down and leaned the lens against the kitchen window and waited for the butterfly to spread its wings. You have to be quick because it spreads out only for a second or two and then folds up again.
Here is another shot. Did I ever say how much I love my new camera?
The lower humidity is here so I am out to run errands. I never left home yesterday.

14 comments:

Vicki W said...

I know how you feel about your brother leaving. My company left this morning and I'm already sad and looking forward to next year.

I am doing a quilt in 4" log cabin blocks and have been wondering what I will do with all of the leftover strips when this quilt is done. I think your wonky log cabins are just the ticket.

Joyce said...

Sometimes the worst part of having company is seeing them leave. At least you have something fun to do in your sewing room.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks, Wanda ~ you are SO wonderful to share!! Be gentle with you as you readjust to your company-less house.

Jeanne said...

Love your flower photos!

Cathi said...

Thank goodness you've got your stitching as you adjust to the fact your company has left.
Love the butterfly shots!
I've thought about making a Jacob's Ladder block a few times -- think that may just jump up the list a bit.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda--

Love those 'HST' blocks! What is HST? (when you tell me, I suspect I'll think, Oh, of course!!)

I too saw my brother and his wife leave on Monday (thank goodness they got out before the stormy weather hit). It was fun, but now I'm eager to put my sewing room back in order--i.e., move fabrics, UFOs and finished quilts back to the so-called guestroom--aka fabric storage room--so that I can baste and quilt a couple of tops. I can have company or have a functional sewing room/studio, but not both at once. I envy your wonderful studio and basement space!

Mary G.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't had a chance to read your blog for the past 3 days but have just caught up. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed seeing your bits and pieces left from other projects.

I love the pictures of the butterflies and the little bunny but I loved the cardinal photos. I thought I was the only one who looked like that first thing in the morning!!

I know I've said this before but you blog is a treasure, Wanda. Keep up the good work and keep sharing with us. Between your quilt photos and the nature photos and your writings, I have such a good feeling when I start my day. I look at "Exuberant Color" before I even check my e-mail these days.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Some days I just want to hug you. SO today, consider yourself hugged.

Gene Black said...

On the crazy blocks, did you just kinda scrap piece those together? Or did you use some type of "pattern"?

I love them! And I want to make some like them.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have a brother I don't get to see very often either and it's really hard. He's not good to call but that's just his personality. It's hard to believe he was raised in the same home - my sister and my other brother and I talk constantly. I've had a Jacob's ladder quilt on my to-do list for a couple of years now but it's not gonna' happen in the near future! Got too many UFOs to do! Blessings, marlene

Betty J in OKC said...

I'd like to see you use a different color in the corners of your Jacob's Ladder. The current one has values that seem to be too close to the chain. Maybe it's just the picture. Just my opionion~~~

Anonymous said...

Nice HST blocks ~ you sure have a way of "plopping" on your design wall! Love it.

I am going to print out those daisies and monarch butterfly photo's... You capture shots like a PRO.

J~MT

meggie said...

Always something nice to see here!

Purple Pam said...

The butterfly is beautiful. I love you camera, too! It gives us such great pictures. I love the color in your blocks, also.

Could you ask your camera if it could find a purple butterfly, please?