Saturday, August 30, 2008

Back in the groove

I haven't actually quilted anything for awhile so last night I got back in the groove by quilting this store sample. I just did an all over meander and used fusible batting so it was a quick one. Now I am ready to quilt the one that has been on my basting tables (shown a couple days ago). Now this little guy has the right idea. EAT the walnuts, don't PLANT them. See his tail hanging down in the Y of the tree branches? I watch the squirrels plant the walnuts and then I spend the next spring digging out seedlings. I suppose they do find a few of them and eat them too. There are 6 walnut trees in the lot line between me and the neighbor and this is a year of lots of walnuts. Click to view his beady eye a little better. He wouldn't move out of the shade for me.
The first anemone bloom has lost its bushy center and the second one has opened.
A few years ago I had a colorful plant called Ireseine, bloodleaf in one of my porch pots. For the next couple years I didn't get back to the greenhouse where I had purchased it and didn't find any locally. This year I found this one IRESINE HERBSTII, chicken gizzard plant. The spelling is slightly different (Ireseine and Irisine) but I suspect they could be from the same family. This one has more pointed leaves and has burnt a little being in the sun even though it called for full sun.
With a plant like this I can be guaranteed color in the pot all summer even when the flowers aren't blooming.

It was very cool overnight, almost blanket weather for sleeping. We are supposed to get some hot days for the beginning of the fair. I just hope it cools down for the end.

5 comments:

Fiber Babble said...

How does a headless squirrel eat a walnut? ;-)

jacquie said...

wish i could get that kind of groove on!

floribunda said...

I'm not sure I'd buy something called "chicken gizzard plant" -- LOL!

meggie said...

I am fascinated by the squirrels. I don't think I have ever seen one, even in a zoo.
Lovely showy pot with that Iresine plant!

Rebel said...

oooh... pretty store sample quilt. You know, I'm really missing mine. I certainly don't need the warmth, but I'm missing the colors - my room is pure white.