Sunday, August 24, 2008

Garden walk, and miscellaneous

I had 3 butterfly bushes at one time. The last 2 years I haven't seen any signs of growth in early spring and then all of a sudden, late in the season one of them came back. This is the stubborn prairie type bell flower that has planted itself all over my gardens. Here it is coming up through the gold mound spirea bush.
Sequana asked yesterday about the thread for the machine embroideries that I do. A chart comes with the digitized designs that are on a CD. Since I want these to look like Laurel Burch's colors, I usually follow the chart. The letter S stands for Sulky brand thread.
So then I go to my Sulky thread boxes and pull out all of the colors that it suggests. This is rayon embroidery thread. The difference between embroidery thread and regular thread is that regular thread has a tight twist to make a strong thread. Embroidery thread has a looser twist for a prettier thread that fills in the design better.
I did get the other 2 borders picked off this one and the first border sewn back on. Now I have to decide how wide the outer zebra border needs to be.
This one has been nagging me to get it off the design wall so yesterday I finally cut the sashing strips for the short direction and got the first 4 rows sewn. The rest of the blocks just have the sashing strip sewn to their left sides and are waiting to be sewn in rows.
The late afternoon light and the camera have decided that this Rose of Sharon should be bright pink when in reality it is a lavender.
The Japanese beetles have been trying to devour the flowers but luckily I don't have the infestation that some areas have.


Remember how I was complaining about the heat and humidity? I actually shivered this morning. It is quite cool and low humidity. The sun is out and it promises to be a beautiful day.


7 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a lot of wonderful color there is around you!

Sequana said...

Thx for the answer about the Sulky. And I can see how that would work.

By the time I got up this morning, I had turned off the a/c, the fan, and had pulled up a sheet to cover myself! Haven't done that in months.

Oh, if this only stays now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,Wonderful flower shots!
Isn't it a beautiful day? Have a good one.
jmh

Anonymous said...

What a great post you gave us today.

Much to look at and study... Garden photo's always make me smile, and your tutorials are always a bonus.

Love your design board... I would not be in any hurry to take it down it is wonderful to look at as is.

Thanks

J~MT

Cathi said...

What gorgeous flowers! I love what's on your design wall right now.
We had the thunderstorm but the air still doesn't feel too cool yet although they say by tonight we will feel the difference. Good thing as a humidex reading of 38C is a bit much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,
Well, if your design wall is talking to you, you had better listen. (And what does the design wall tell you to use for setting triangles?)

Just don't tell too many people you're hearing voices, though.

If the number of photos today is an indicator, it looks like your energy is back!

Vicky F

jovaliquilts said...

I don't know whether you mean literally a butterfly plant or not, but we have a few kinds that attract butterflies and there has been quite a show of them this last week or so. So much fun to watch!