Sunday, August 10, 2008

Determined flower

My house was built in 1953. Over the years the front cement steps have leaned forward from the house a tiny bit and the sidewalk in front has sunk and tipped slightly toward the steps. In the winter this is a dangerous situation because any water that is on sidewalk puddles right by the bottom step and turns to ice in freezing weather. In the summer however it is a little crack that seeds get into and this year I have snapdragons there. The little tiny green leaf to the right of it is a redbud tree. Every year it is something different. I like the flower so it will stay until the end of its season. I rearranged the blocks several times and finally sewed this one together. It isn't as good as the first one in the series (my current favorite, the top right item on my blog). Trimming the bottom edge is next and then I will look for backing.
I wanted to try black and white in one but I really like the all color one better.

It is a beautiful sunny cool morning. It is the kind of weather that gives me energy and it is so welcome after hot humid weather. Have a great Sunday everyone.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it something that these lil seeds decide to take root in those tight cracks? I have petunia's that do that every year also. They are annuals out here so it surprises me when they pop up in odd places. And like you I enjoy letting them blossom where ever they are.

I will wait to see what you end up trimming this quilt top with. I know when I am creating, what I say I am going to do and what I end up doing are two different things.

J~MT

jovaliquilts said...

What an amazing place for a flower to bloom! Reminds me of that poem, "Flower in a crannied wall..."

Cathi said...

Those flowers are determined to brighten up the grey pavement!
I love your new quilt top -- as usual, I just love the colours.

Elsie Montgomery said...

We had a landscaper come and look at our backyard because we want to redo it a bit and made it easier to take care of. When I remarked about all the stuff growing in nooks and crannies, he said, "Oh, that stays. People work for years to get that look!"

Me thinks I will have to work for years to get quilts that look half as good as yours!

Happy Sunday to you too!

Joyce said...

I love them both. There's something about color that can't be beat, even though B&W is very dramatic.

Vicki W said...

I like the black and white bits added in. we are also having a beautiful cool (for summer) day!

Anonymous said...

I have petunias growing in area that I never planted. Underneath a bush at the edge of the grass. I can't figure out how they got there and they are abundant, in my favorite color, blue. Grass doesn't even grow in that spot.
These are the kind of surprises that make gardening interesting.
Louise

Anonymous said...

I love the snapdragons. I like the little bit of black and white mixed in with all the color. Have fun hunting for the backing.

Cher said...

yes, I love those charming plants that grow in unexpected places too.
lovely yellow color. I like this current quilt though agree with your favorite being mine too- just another lover of color gal.

Anonymous said...

I get a "volunteer" or two every year, as long as I'm not too good about getting the newly sprouted weeds pulled early on. This year I have some type of squash in my rock garden (from seeds I gave the squirrels last fall) and an impatiens (seed from last year's plants, apparently) among my begonias.
Love your garden photos as well as the quilts.
Vicky F