Friday, April 29, 2022

Binding............


The first thing I had to determine is whether this Sharks Teeth print was dark navy or black.  After I saw it was the navy I went searching through my Brandon Mably stash to find it.  I only had one piece 11" x the width of the fabric and a fat quarter; just enough to cut the strips I needed.  I started the hand stitching last night while I watched TV and have one long side and part of a short side done.  It is pretty wild as a binding but I can't see that anything else would be a better choice for it.


Out in the back yard there are a few clumps of purple violets blooming.






The white violets grow mostly in the grass but there are a few clumps by the Forsythia bush.






You would have to click on this photo to enlarge to really enjoy it.  It is one of the larger Lungwort plants in full bloom.  It isn't in a spot where I like it so it may get moved when it warms up enough to work outside (and not have 40 mph wind gusts or rain).

 

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Such lovely petite violets blooming for you--;))such sweet flowers...
I agree about that shark's tooth binding--just perfection--have fun sewing it on...hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

The binding is the perfect choice!

diane said...

The binding needed to be! The whole quilt is awesome.
So tiny are the violets, but they sure are grand.

JJM said...

Happy you had enough sharks teeth fabric for binding .

Purple Violets are one of my favorites I have a yard full of pink violets. And have no idea if they were brought in by a bird or squirrel. Yours are so big and pretty compared to mine.

JJM

Anne Ibach said...

That shark's tooth binding is to perfect!

Would love to see an explanation of how you do your machine sewn bindings. Looks like you sew the binding on the back and then use zig zag stitch from the front. Is that correct?

I have terrible luck getting the back to look good if I sew the binding on the front and then stitch in the ditch from the front. The back looks so irregular. I think I'd have better luck sewing from the front.

Cathy said...

Violets kind of grow wild all around here. Seems I'm usually digging them out of the flower beds. But I do like them. They make a nice ground cover.

Oh, that binding is wild and just perfect for the quilt. I kind of like the quilt too! Ok. I love the quilt - bright and colorful. You can't feel sad when near that one I'll bet!

Chookyblue...... said...

what a great binding fabric.......I to am binding at present........but I have way to many to bind.....I will keep going.....goodluck your nearly finished....

O'Quilts said...

A perfect binding xo

Needled Mom said...

LOVE the binding. It’s perfect. The violets are pretty too. The leaves are so interesting on the Lungwort.

Connie said...

I really like that as your binding. It gives your quilt a fun final touch.

sewyouquilt2 said...

I too have violets everywhere. Love that binding

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Love the shark's tooth as a binding. I might be borrowing that idea in the future.