Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Yellow finches

We had a freeze warning overnight but the redbuds still look OK. They haven't opened yet but the trees are looking pink anyway. This first picture was on Apr. 9 of a yellow finch on the finch feeder sack. I have it on a little redbud tree that the squirrels are too heavy for so they can't get to the sack. Here is the same little tree on Apr. 28 (picture taken from a different window) and you can see the pink buds on it. I have redbud trees sprouting all over in the back yard and I have to dig most of them out because they aren't in a place that I would want them. I decided to let this one grow. It came up about 6 years ago and last year was the first year it had flowers.
You can click on the pictures for a closer view. I have given away many of the little trees that I have dug out and most of them have grown even thought they come out bare root.

My mother's legs are healed now but her toes are still weeping so we have one more whirlpool treatment this morning and then we have to see the dr. on Thurs. to see if he prescribes any more of this treatment or goes to another type. I'm getting in a lot of reading (some new authors, some not so great, some really good) while I wait the 45 min to an hour.

4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Sounds like your mother's treatments are working, even if more slowly than you'd hoped.

A friend stuck what I thought were bare twigs in our back yard one November -- no roots even -- and assured us we'd have raspberries the next June. We did! And now they are taking over the yard!

Sharon said...

Your blocks are so happy and bright. You use the best fabrics and make the most amazing quilts! Thanks for the tip about the bird feeder - I never would have thought to put it in a tree too small for the squirrels! Glad to hear your Mom is improving. I hope you keep getting good news.

Anonymous said...

Spring is slow coming here also. One day it is in the 70's next day 80's next day back to the 50's or 60's. Now these are highs for the day. I had never seen a finch feeder sack and we have finches here. And they eat my small black sun flower seeds.

So happy to hear how well your mom's legs are responding to the whirlpool therapy. I do hope Dr. gives her another prescription to continue until totally healed.

J~MT

TB said...

I'm glad to hear that your Mother's legs are healing. My best wishes for continued healing. It looks as if Spring is a bit furher on here in the DC area. The world is quite green here now. How nice to have a finch visit you!