Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lots of stitching

In 1997 Wendy Hill's book "On the Surface" was published. I have always loved the stitched line and lots of them all over the fabric really got me excited. I made several small pieces using the technique and then decided I would do a vest. Well 11 years have passed and I still have the stitched vest fronts laying there. At this point I am considering cutting them into a purse of some kind. I just laid hundreds of little scraps on a muslin base that I might have sprayed with a temporary spray. It has been so long I'm not sure but that is how I would do it now. Then I stitched base lines that held the pieces loosely in place.
Then many more rows of stitching were done, forward 2", reverse 3", forward 4", reverse 3" etc.
This method used up a lot of those bobbins that just had a little thread left or a color that I knew I wouldn't be needing again. For the top I used up all of the spools with only a little thread left on them, and then used colors I just wanted to get rid of.
The top rows of stitching were with colors I liked or that contrasted nicely. I used some of the fancy stitches on the sewing machine, and also the heavier straight stitch that goes forward and back a couple times. It is time to do something with these pieces.

It is cold again, not even 40 degrees yet this morning, lots of rain last night. It will be a good day to finish cleaning and for sewing.

9 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm assuming all those little pieces are raw edge, and that the zillions of stitches keep them from fraying very much? It's really lovely, and fun, and thrifty!

Anonymous said...

WOW! "jovaliquilts" comment says it all and I agree. I remember that technique and always thought I would do just one item. As I have said before I live my quilting projects through you Wanda, and you did it for me again. (*._,*)

J~MT

Rebel said...

Wow - that creates a really interesting texture. I'm always afraid of doing too much quilting and end up erring on the side of too little.

Paula, the quilter said...

How stiff is it? I assume without batting that it is not as stiff? It would make a beautiful bag.

Anonymous said...

Wanda,

I made a purse with similarly "constructed fabric," in which the scraps had parallel rows of fancy machine embroidery stitches that brought color from one scrap into the adjacent scrap. It worked great, and I get a lot of compliments on the purse.

meggie said...

As ever, something new, & interesting. A good way to use a lot of the stitches on the machine, that never seem to get used.

Quiltdivajulie said...

A machine version much like the moodling/hand stitching I do to make some of my AAQI Priority Quilts...

LOVE the way your pieces look... purse or tote bag would be awesome and fabulous. Have fun deciding how to use these!

Candy Schultz said...

Ooh I have that book. You have made me want to get it out again.

Elaine Adair said...

My gosh, Wanda, I've just purchased that book, finally, after 5 years of wanting it. But you are farther along than I - I'm only to the drooling stage.

Looks good to me! Keep on with whatever you decide to make of that piece.