Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Art day 1

The first day is over, and was I ever wiped out by the time I drove home. The kids were so much fun and they were all excited about the project. The one below was started in our last period of the day and interrupted by a fire drill, complete with firemen. Luckily the teacher of that group volunteered to let them finish them tomorrow in their regular class. I think this child may have gone to Florida with the sand and water and palm tree.
The 2 afternoon groups had great imaginations. We told them to draw something that reminded them of spring.
I love the one below with the clouds and birds lined up in rows.
This pink house was nice change after passing all of the subdivisions of gray and beige houses on my way there.
The one below has the raindrops in the sky and a beanstalk going up to the rainbow.
This one had to be the most original drawing. I don't know that it reminds me of spring but this budding artist just went for what he liked to draw, when so many others had a hard time deciding what to draw. In the break between the 2 classes in the morning and 2 in the afternoon I ironed the first batch to remove the excess wax. They used Roseart instead of Crayola brand and they worked very well.
I will meet with 4 classes tomorrow and have to leave at 7:15 a.m. so I won't post again until tomorrow afternoon.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda, Last week when I was in New Hampshire at the MQX show I met Vicki Welsh who recognized Sandwich, IL on my name tag. Imagine my surprise to find out about your blog in NH from a person from VA!! This is a great blog and I'll check back frequently. I'm having fun looking back at your older posts.

Sarah

jovaliquilts said...

Kids are great -- I love the drawings! Long days for you, though.

Joyce said...

Those drawings remind me of when I was teaching. Kids are so free with their drawing.

Sequana said...

What? Dinos don't remind you of Spring? What's up with that? *S*

I'm with Juan......

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,
I love the artwork . Children have such uninhibited imagination.
Spring is all about birds, critters and things that grow and the kids got that right. This project is a great idea. Fun for all !
Louise

Purple Pam said...

What fun! I love children's artwork. They are so imaginative, and have no boundaries. I have student artwork exhibited all around my office. I know you are tired from all the fun. Put your feet up and have a warm cup of tea and relax so you can get ready for the next phase!

jacquie said...

Simply wonderful. I love these almost as much as quilts. Kids art is so inspirational. I'm thinking a big blue monster inspired creation!

Kristin L said...

These are all so bright and cheerful, I can't wait to see the next batch. BTW, we get battling dino/dragons year-round here. Like black, they are always appropriate!

Dixie Redmond said...

Wanda, when I was a teacher we made a quilt like this with my 5th grade class based on American history. Aren't kids' drawings awesome? They have such an awkward, interesting design sensibility. The last picture iwth the monsters just wouldn't work without the red scales on the back of the blue guy. Every detail works toward a kind of dancing balance.

I live in a grey house in a subidivision. ;-)

Nancy said...

The children's art work is so uninhibited! I love seeing it. You must be utterly exhausted. I know I was when we did big art or craft projects with girl scouts 10 or 12 years ago! The children are so fortunate to have your time and artisitic abilities. I'm sure they are loving this project too!

Anonymous said...

Happiness is.....shown in those blocks. There is some real talent in the making. I totally understand the stamina it takes on your part to over see a project like that. But oh~ the reward is so gratifying.

J~MT

Elsie Montgomery said...

Wow! I love them too. Each one is a mini lesson in color theory!

I have a stack in my "memories" box of drawings my children made. No refrigerator is large enough to display them all! But I still post drawings from visiting children... even though my grandchildren are now too grown up to do these!

You will certainly cherish these photos!

Elaine Adair said...

just wonderful drawings! Love those creatures (dinosaurs?)!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda, What a day to produce all of the
great art.Reminds me of my teaching days also..
Thanks for sharing. jmh

Quiltdivajulie said...

What an absolutely MARVELOUS project...

I hope their energy and enthusiasm feeds you, too!

And you gotta LOVE that pink house!

Lynda said...

Thanks for sharing these drawings. They are absolutely delightful - especially the one of dinosaurs in the spring!